What to do, what to do - Updated

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    So most of you know we moved into a new house, and our goats are being boarded at my neighbor and good friend's house just down the road until our fencing is up (Hopefully this month!).

Well, we go there everyday after work to feed, water, and spend some time with them. My friend, Leah, has both Nigerian Dwarves and Nubians.

And my husband has become enamored of the Nubbies!

Now, I will admit I've never been a fan of Nubians. I didn't like the roman noses or the big floppy ears; I prefer upright ears.

Hubby is insisting we get a Nubian, he says they are "pretty" and "nice." :ROFL:

Leah's Nubbies ARE very sweet...and pretty...I think I'm even starting to like them. :wink:

My Buckly is over there as well, and has bred her Nigerian does. She is also breeding him to two Nubian does she is getting. I am getting "pick of the crop" out of the Nigerian does that he bred, and I've just asked about doing the same with the two Nubian does.

So what should I do here, I wonder. Get a Nubian? Hope for a mini Nubian doe out of the breeding? Just ignore hubby all together?

:slapfloor:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: What to do, what to do

Well.....since you are lucky enough to have a hubby that is into goats, God love him for that :hug: I think I would go for a nubi mini, now, the chances that 1st gen will have the long ears are 50/50, but they are still cute, and it won't be as big as a full nubi, better for your nigies I think :wink:

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

He wasn't at first! I'm sure ya'll remember how I snuck goat cheese into his pizza and got him hooked. And then let him pick out his "own" goat.

Now he pretends to not like them but . . .

[​IMG]

:greengrin:

My Nigis are on the larger side and pretty tough, so they'd handle a Nubbie pretty well, but I think I'm going to try to get a Mini-Nubbie first. Most of my goatie pals around here breed Nubians, so I know there won't be an issue finding one!

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN

i have found that nubians are very vocal so if you don't mind them screaming all the time i would get one.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no more vocal then my nigerians! goodness they are loud as anything!!

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

i think nubians and nigerians...have they same voice, probably around 300 decibels LOL. an nigies I used to have were mean to the boers, and actually pretty much challenge anything...our dog! Birch didnt know what was going on. lol. dwarf goat just ran at her...

but I agree with liz....if he likes goats....get him a goat! lol

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

HIS goat, Rudy, is the loudest most annoying goat there is! Add onto the fact she has a very strange voice, and will yell at you the entire time she can see you and I think a Nubian won't be a problem. :greengrin:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Awww.....get your DH a goat.... :)

You know.....I think all goat breeds can be noisy....I have a boer that is very load and demanding at feeding time...... :wink: :greengrin:

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I think you might see a post about a Nubian joining my herd in the future. :wink:

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

My friend just got two new Nubian goats (gorgeous girls!) and when we went over today to feed/ water, and drop off more hay, hubby wandered over to them.

After I was done with everything and done with loving on my girls and Buckly, I looked over, and hubby has these skittish does eating hay from his hand and was petting them.

:love:

I've sent a couple e-mails to my Nubian breeding pals letting them know to put me on their lists for a mini-Nubbie doe.

:greengrin:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...I sorta knew that you were going to be adding a lil' longears even before you posted :hug: Good luck and I hope the perfect little doe finds you very soon.