What to do when buck falls through?

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by LunaLovegoat, Nov 3, 2019.

1. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Hi everyone!

Newbie to this forum here with a question. I had a buck service lined up that a friend had used in the past for my girls but it didn't work out. It is so late in the year, is it still worth trying to get my girls pregnant? I'm feeling at a loss of how to move forward. Do you think it is possible to find a quality buck (registered and regularly tested) as it is already November? Any avenues worth checking out?

Thank you very much!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

About all you can do is look on Craigslist or call around to local breeders.

GoofyGoat likes this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @groovyoldlady
    Do you know of any? You're in Maine too I believe.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome to TGS!
    I love your forum name, my whole herd is named after Harry Potter so I love the spin you used on Luna Lovegood. Too cute :)

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    It's absolutely not too late to breed! I don't usually breed mine until December because I prefer May kiddings. Sometimes I even wait till January. Good luck! I'm still in need of a buck myself this year.

LillyRoseGal, GoofyGoat and ReNat like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, never too late.

Put an add out or call your local breeders.

You want a clean herd to choose from and you may have to test your does to breed to a buck.

You can purchase a buck and then sell him when you are done with him.

Jessica84 and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Thank you everyone - I really appreciate all the responses!!! I have a few farm/breeders that I've looked up, so I've got some phone calls to make!

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    i will not start to breed my girls tell the 15th of Nov. you will find that you will have more live births in April. you will have less frozen kids less pneumonia faster growth because of the green grass more milk
    April births rock

9. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Not necessarily, for some people later spring kidding works better and for some winter kidding works best. It really depends on your goals and your set up. There is no blanket statement on what is best for kidding.
    We kid mid January in Colorado, lots of cold and snow. I have yet to lose a kid to the cold, we are set up with a good dry barn for them and they do rather well in the cold. The later we kid the more problems we see with parasites and slower growth in the hot months.