what to do when kid nurses only one side????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zatsdeb, Apr 10, 2008.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    My little boy only nurses one side, my ginger won't let him nurse the other side and she is getting big. I was wondering should I milk her on that side? It is hard to get her to hold still for nursing on that side, she is very stubborn! She is the only one who had 1 baby, my other girls had twins and they are keeping things pretty even!!!! :scratch:

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Go ahead and milk the other side it may be so full the kid cant nurse from it.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is probably getting so full and tender because it is so full and she doesn't want him near it because of that.

Milk out that one side till it is even with teh first or even less so that it he gets the idea to nurse off that side as well.

He will be very happy for the extra milk and will grow like a weed in no time!

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    DIDDO.

My Oreo was doing the same thing ~ getting full one her right side because apparantly her twins were only nursing the left side. So I milked her out each day to make her even until the twins began doing it themselves. I only had to do it about 2 or 3 days before they began nursing from both sides and haven't had to mess with it since. And as was said ~ if it gets real full sometimes the kids can't nurse well from the full side, plus it'll be tender for mamma. So once you start evening it up ~ the kid might decide it can nurse both sides then, plus mamma probably won't mind since it won't be so tender then. :D

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    that is what I am going to do, she hasn't let him nurse from the start on the one side, I had to hold her foot to just get him to nurse the first time when he was born! I think she is different than the other moms, she, we rescued from the field being shipped off to market, she was wild, never worked with, she bonded with my husband and myself right away, to the point of following us in the house. she is a big baby, and I think maybe that is her personality!
    I will have to have my husband help me out with that milking, or holding ginger! I was off work for a few days with a sprained leg, tendon popping, thingie... ouch. was on crutches the day after he was born, and haven't had time to go out there and work with her. I tried but she wouldn't hold still, and short of me falling on my behind!!! using a cane, and trying to milk standing up, holding her... not working!!!
    I did manage to hold her for a minute while he tried to get some milk, he got a bit.
    tomorrow is another day!! he is a big boy and I am sure will drink lots of milk!!
    Thanks for the advice!!!!
    [​IMG]
    this is spunky, and ginger his mom... this is 6 days old.
    [​IMG]

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe he is a cutie

I sure hope you heal up quickly - sounds painful!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had the same situation last year when Bootsie kidded a single buckling. He was nursing on just one side and even milking the other she didn't quite even up, I had an issue with her production too, she's pygmy/nigi and I do milk my does after the kids are weaned. I f you are worried about her next freshening and being "lopsided" she will even out and stay even if she has more than 1. For right now though, if you don't have a stand with a head gate, tie her to a post and push her against the wall, using your shoulder to balance yourself against her to hold her their while you milk, once she's soft enough your cute little guy will be able to latch on.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    I have been putting ginger in the milking stantion and little spunky just bellies up to the bar!
    I think he is getting pretty fat and sassy anyways!!!
    So, he is doing great, and getting all kinds of milk. Ginger has been letting him have a slurp here and there on that side, I think she is just finiky.
    My leg is doing better but it still hurts!! I forgot that she will jump on anything or go anywere to get food.