What to do...with a sneaky goat.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 3, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    One of my does is being a real butt. She used to be a favorite, but she's really become a naughty girl, and as my husband says she is 'disrespectful.' She's 2nd from bottom of the pecking order now, even her old buddy doesn't hang out with her -- her buddy is now herd queen.

This past weekend, she figured out a way to get through the fence in the creekbed - creek has been dry for over a month, and I have a little gate there that raises with the current when the creek gets high <hard to explain>. Well like I said this past weekend she figured out how to get through it and had all the others out in the woods.
    I brought them back in...and waited ALL day watching them, and saw 'her' leading them to the gate. By the time I got back there she and 2 others were out. I blocked it up real good since there is no hope of having enough rain to get the flow going again yet.
    She tried to run from me because she didn't want to go back in the pen. She used to never run like that, but you could see the 'look' on her face, it was hard to explain, but she just didn't want to co operate and tries to lay down when you are pulling her back to the pen <I had to use the horn/tail trick to get her going>.

So today, our neighbor - a worker at the restaurant next door knocks on the door...she is out AGAIN! This time she got through a hole in the fence. My husband doesn't have a gate up going into the woods, he just ties off the fence. Well as you might have guessed we have field fencing and when you pull and stretch for so long the 'spaces' get wider. Well I have no doubt in my mind she squeezed through one of those squares because it was stretched out A LOT. I did a temporary fix on that this morning -- permanent fix WILL come this weekend -- GATE.

She tried her laying down stuff with me again, had to pull her by horn/tail. She is the ONLY one that I have problems like this with.
    If we turn them out into the backyard, she'll try to sneak by us to go into the front yard. You tell her no, and wave your arms at her, and she'll dodge you and try to get by. Naughty, naughty girl!
    Our other girls and our young buck can be stubborn, but we don't have these kind of issues with them not at all.

What do you do with a doe like this ! :hair:
    I know I fixed the spots she found to get out of, I am still afraid to leave the house today. But I need to get feed and a few other things. I'm almost tempted to lock her up in our smaller pen while I am gone just so I don't have to worry about what she'll do next.

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I would prob lock her up while you are gone because that would make me worry also.....I was told once that if you fence can't hold water it can't hold goats....I swear some of them spend all day looking for a way to get out while the others are content with just grazing.....I am not sure what you can do with that girl.....sorry that I dont have any real suggestions except lock her up when you are gone.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree to lock her up when your gone.... but ...I also recommend... getting some sort of hotline..... watch real close...for a while....supervised.... until she understands ...that she cannot go through the fence...and stays away from it...believe me... they learn ..... :wink:

4. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    A few zaps with hotwire might get her to respect it more

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My naughty girl's name is Mischief. We have a sheep named Moose that tells on her when she does something. :greengrin: He'll even show you where she got out at. We are switching all the fencing to no-climb horse fence or the goat sheep fence. Much smaller holes and a lot tougher. She's not a rammer, she's more of a search up and down till you see a spot to lean on. "What? All I'm doing is scratching my butt". "It's a real bad itch though...Might take awhile...Oh. How did that happen?" "Guess I better look around out here and make sure nothing gets in...." :devilish:

Gina

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL Gina I can't stop laughing LOL

Well, I went out and gave them all a little grain as a 'treat' since I am out of animal cookies and nilla waffers..heh. Mother nature decided to grace us with a little rain and that was my que to leave and get my errands out of the way, and came home to find everyone just fine, grazing in the shady grassy area nearest to our house.
    Thankfully the only part in the fence that is stretched like I mention is just where my husband plans to put a gate to get into the back acre - he uses a rope and ties the fence to the post! Well what happens when you keep pulling tight/stretching, it starts to stretch and mess up and she found that one little hole. I've checked everywhere else and can't find anywhere else, I know that is the spot she got out because she always goes back there as if she is 'checking.' THey LOVE the woods and will run over each other when we open it up for them to go browse. Soon we hope to have it all fenced in for them.

If her sneaky butt doesn't calm down though, she'll be spending her days in that pen! Especially since we'll be weaning her buckling real soon.
    THe other day when she snuck out of the pen through the creek, and I caught her the second time....she was going to go for a third escape right away! So she spent the rest of the day in the small pen....and it really didn't bother her....so I am so glad we built the pen!

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'll give you a view of my life with an escape goat and a tattle tale sheep:
    We come down the driveway only to see a yard full of goats. The goats look up, see me and dart back to the hole to run back in to the pen. All but my two sheep.
    Moose and Baa Baa run along side my truck bucking and jumping having a good ole' time. I park and they wait at my door. (they will look and see which side of the truck I'm on and go to that side. Apparently they don't trust my husband to lay down the law with the goats)
    I open the door to a barrage of "Baaaaaasss" I look at the goats. Everyone is lined up looking like they have done nothing wrong. "What? We are in the pen. Bust the sheep. They got out. Shhhhh I don't know what they are talking about...."(grabbing a mouthful of hay)"We've been here allllll day."
    I look down at Moose and frown. "Moose. Baa Baa. Show momma were they got out." I step out of the truck and shut the door.
    Moose runs to the bent fence and looks at it. Baa Baa sticks his neck out and shows me his black tongue. (I swear. You can almost see down his stomach)
    I have to open the gate and let them back in. (they won't go back in through the hole) Hubby shakes his head and says something about spoiled, rotten little $h!%$. I tell him it's pronounced SHEEP. Now I get a dirty look and no help repairing the fence.
    Don't you want your own tattle tale sheep?
    Gina

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!! How funny! Moose and Baa Baa sound absolutely adorable :) And the instigators...LOL!!!

9. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Love the stories! It will be Gina's fault that I have to go get sheep!!! LOVE Moose and Baa Baa!!

When we fenced our pasture for the goats this past spring we bought the no climb horse wire fencing rolls. After hearing so many stories about goats getting out I wanted to make sure we wouldn't have that same problem. I am so glad we did! The only escape was Water Beetle when I couldn't close the gate fast enough and she is such a little piggy that all I had to do was ask her if she wanted a cookie and she followed me back to the barn! :)

10. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    :)

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :greengrin: The best place to get a nice sheep is through like a 4-H'er. That way they are already used to being handled. Baa Baa had never been handled (he was 3 months old) It took bribery. :p Know he loves being petted. They hate to have hoofs trimmed. I have to put Baa Baa on his butt.

Gina

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Gina - I love reading your posts, your herd of goats/sheep sound like so much fun! So silly!
    I have a doe that is several months old, and wasn't worked with or handled on a regular basis, so she came to us wild as a hare. I've been able to bribe her with treats, and usually in the barn area she will let me walk up and rub on her, but out in the pen she doesn't, maybe she thinks I came to mess with her, I dunno...
    But I'm still very proud of her progress. And even more proud of her after this weekend - I did hoof trimming, put a collar and leash on her, she hated it, but I was able to coax her out of the gate, and tie her up with slack - like i do all my girls. A few kicks of a back leg when I took hold, and that was it! She stood like a pro! I'm going to keep working on her with the leash :)
    My 9 week old buckling did great on the leash, and a few kicks of a back leg and he plopped down on his side and laid there still as can be while I trimmed him! He started to doze off LOL

As for 'sneaky' goat, she hasn't gotten out anymore. Thank goodness!

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Gina -- too funny! Gotta love a tattle tale! And I have wether who's always pulling the "Who me? I wasn't in the grain room." Really? Then why is an oat stuck to your chin? bratty, bratty goats! I love 'em

14. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Something else about Moose. He steals tools....He has a fetish for hammers. Always has. You bring out a hammer, he's gotta' have it. He chews on the round end and wants you to hold it so he can rub his horns on the claw. He will knock down any garden tool propped up against a tree. If he likes it, he will scoot it across the yard. He also steals hubby's bow saw. If you are sawing low enough, he will head butt it and push like he's helping. If you lay it down, off he goes with it in tow. Hammering nails in the fence? Moose will put his head on it and push. While you try to shoo him away, he's grabbing something else out of the tool belt. :doh: I have never seen anyone else do this. Baa Baa will smell it but then wanders off. The goats watch and may come up to see what your doing but they get bored. Not Moose. :idea: He comes up with his own plan.
    We have a portable fence across the front yard and we turn everyone out in the yard when we get home. Hubby keeps the red hammer (Moose's favorite) on a pallet next to the fence so he can hammer the post in when we go in and out. Moose found his hammer through the fence one day and took off with it. We came home, went through and hubby goes to put the post back in...."Where's the hammer?" I found it in Moose' :greengrin: s dog house. Hubby has to "hide" it behind the pallet.
    I'll tell you how he grieves next time.

Gina