The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our ND doe had one baby yesterday and it was dead. She keeps crying. She is not a very lovey dovey goat. I tried to give her other goats babies but she just doesn't want them. I've milked her but any ideas. She gets the whole crew going! Driving me nuts crying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similar issue, my alpine miscarried last weekend at about 3 months along(didn't know she was bred when I got her). I don't milk they are just pets so she recently self weaned her 5 month old twins as well...poor things has been screaming all week and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong and like yours she gets everyone hollerin. She is eating fine maybe a little less then usual but not really noticeable, besides the yelling she is acting normal but a little skiddish when I come close but I have no idea and it's driving me nuts!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
She'll get over it. Usually within a few days they're back to normal.

Did you remove the kid from the pen? Next time...leave it there for the day and let her morn and accept the death. It's much easier on the doe. Right now she is searching for her kid, but give it a couple days and she should quiet down and relax.

·
14,615 Posts
Give her time she is grieving. It might take several days. In the meantime a few treats & special attention in the form of loving on her if she'll accept it. She may surprise you.
Sorry she lost her kid, it is hard on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at work and since she was so huge my husband and daughter took her baby away thinking the next one would be coming. And they had to move her to a kidding stall so they just didn't put the baby in. She was fine yesterday but today she's upset. I just wondered if anyone had a good trick. She breaks my heart. Especially because it was a beautiful blue eyed doe. :-(

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I just wondered if anyone had a good trick. (
There are no "good tricks" when it comes to a doe losing her kid. She has to work through the process, and it takes time. I've had does call their dead kid(s) for a solid week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts