what to do with mountain of hay!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    What do you do with waste hay? Especially interested in what folks do who have smaller goat farms/places - its too much for the garden and is somewhat urine soaked anyway. Have tried to sort out the goat berries but the effort seems mcuh greater than the reward.

Do you haul it off? Sell it? Let it pile up to the sky?

Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we spread it out... in our pasture ..with our tractor... using a bucket scraper ..that is on the back ...and raise it up somewhat.. so it drops it out.. evenly.......great fertilizer...

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we use it the garden...but other wise it goes in a big hole at the back of our property :roll: i couldnt figure out what to do with it.

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    As Pam said, it is great fertilizer. Also use it to fill in any low spots in the alleys and such where the water stands when it rains. Pile it up and put a tarp over it and run an ad in the free want ads paper for the area gardeners to use as compost. Post some notices at the restaurants, feed stores, and garden centers that you have this for FREE! You would be stunned how well the response from gardeners will be.

5. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - I've heard REAL farmers spread their hay, but we are just a pretend farm - 7 acres of mostly woods, and no tractor.

So, the urine soaked stuff is ok for gardens? If so, I'm sure I could get it hauled away by gardeners.

Thanks!

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    They can add it to their compost piles and it makes great compost. A lot of urrea, which is mostly nitrogen!

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Most of our goat waste goes in the garden...we use it as mulch and pile it high (about 6"-8") around all of our plants and between rows. It is great fertilizer and helps hold moisture around the plants...plus no weeds can come up through it.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I rake out of the yards and sheds ends up in the burn pile as starter to help burn trash and other unwanted burnables.......it does help though to retain moisture in the garden...now if I could prevent the hay seed from growing, I would use it there even more. I also use it as mulch around my grape arbor and my ornamental shrubs and trees...it does keep the grass growth at bay as well as retains moisture.

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We just compost it. But we do a hot compost so it goes much quicker than just lettin it sit.

10. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - we put it on the garden but its just tooooo much. (maybe i'm giving the boys too much hay and I should cut back so they'll waste less...???)

But that gives me an idea to call an old friend who owns a vegetable farm....

What is hot composting?

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Keep the compost moist and contained. And turn it every couple of days. It actually will get HOT like 150 degerees, but it breaks down the plant matter very quickly into a very good mulch.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i wheel barrow it to my mom and she lays it around her plants and between the rows to keep the weeds down and moisture in. I have only a couple goats but have tons of waste for some reason. A friend of mime only puts out a small amount of hay through out the day and they waste less. What they do waste though she collects and throws away in the trash and it is removed every week by the trash men

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I live in town with three of my goats and we let people off Craigslist come and take whatevert manure/hay they want. I have sold it before and I offer to deliver within a reasonable distance for about $1 extra. Works well. Lots of happy gardeners in our community because of it! :)

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I list it on Craigs list for free fertilizer. Great for the garden, and I get lots of calls and they clean the barn for me. :leap: