What to do with Pride?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, Dec 22, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, he's not getting enough milk from his mum - he is almost 4 weeks old now and he has put on a grand total of 1.1kg since birth :(

But he refuses to take a bottle when I try and top him up.

What would you do? Would you take him off her completely and try to bottle raise him, or just leave him with her and hope for the best, try to wean him early onto grain, or what?

Out of my three boer bucks I wanted him to be a long term resident because he is unrelated to my other does ...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hard call. Can you get him onto grain right now? He is getting something or he would be dead. So can you introduce grain to him and feed him twice a day? and then top off his feed with like a powder milk replacer.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yeah, he is getting enough just to survive I think. He nibbles a bit of grain and hay with mum, but not much. Thats a good idea about the powdered milk though. I wonder if I set up a creep area whether he will actually use it :shrug: hmmm this is tough

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could try, put out a small amount, enough to see if he is using it and then you will know. May take him a couple days to recognize it for what it is but I am sure if he is hungry he will catch on

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Either that or you could soak a little food with milk replacer and put it in his mouth.. I would just bottle feed myself to be safer than sorry, especially since he came from your doe Pride; who knows how well she'll be able to kid in the future with that prolapse..

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Instead of a bottle offer him milk in a shallow pan or bowl. We had a bottle baby last year that quit drinking the bottle but would drink from a pan.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks everyone,

toth that link was pretty basic ... all the normal things to try with bottle babies ... which I have been doing for a week and a half ...

hg ... although I hate bucket feeding, that is something new to try

I thought long and hard today and spoke to some mentors and in the end decided, even though I hate doing it and RARELY do it, I am going to remove him to bottle feed. He is not eating enough pellets yet and leaving him with his mum he is not taking the bottle. I'm going to separate him from her, so he gets really hungry then I am sure he will accept the bottle. The deciding factor was that Vanity herself is not well, she is really struggling so this will help her as well.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hope it all works out and he starts to thrive. YOu dont need to loose them both :hug:

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Oh sorry, I got the names mixed up. :sigh:

Hopefully everything will go ok..

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ha ha Amos I knew what you meant.

I separated him this morning and they are both crying :( making me feel so bad but I do think it is for the best. I will leave him to get hungry and try a bottle tonight

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not to say what you have done already is wrong......i just would have separated at night :shrug: save you the trouble of hearing them cry :sigh:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    stacey, then I would have had to listen to it all night and get no sleep!

this way, he will be done by the time we go to bed and we all enjoy our sleep :greengrin:

I'm just a wimp I feel bad for taking her baby away from her. I have to keep telling myself it is for the best.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Still screaming, not much voice left, hasnt accepted a bottle yet

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I sure hope he takes it soon. . . . I hate separating moms and babies. I hate weaning too. . . . so sad. :(

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the longest I have had one go for before accepting a bottle was two days ... I hope he takes to it soon!

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    does he have any grain or hay in with him??

when i was trying to get a buck kid on a bottle i had to have all his food taken away.. and then after 6 hours or so he ate alot!!

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    He's got ad lib pellets and wheat hay, plus barley straw though he doesnt eat a whole lot

I figure once he gets hungry enough he'll drink

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    use a rubber glove to nurse him with .... they feel more like nipples. warm up the milk and fill up the glove, poke a needle into one of the fingers... see if he sucks ?. :shrug:

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's a really good idea Pam. I'll have to remember that for future reference! :)