What to do???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Dec 6, 2007.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I posted a picture of my new doe. I bought her in September but she stayed about 3 hours away from me because she was being bred. I got her to my place the first weekend of November. Well she has had a cough and I was watching her. She has a normal temp, no crusty eyes or nose, sounds fine. Hay is a little dusty but they are fed outside right now. Well the cough stopped for a bit (or I thought it did). I was thinking lung worm, but not sure. I emailed another person and I told her all this, She said give ivermectin orally. If it was someone asking me what to do I would know. I would of aked them what her eye lids looked like? Are they pink or pale? Why don't you think of these things when it is your own goat?
    Ok, now hers are WHITE. I will go get some red cell today. I have NEVER had a goat really ever even sick, so I have no idea who much to give or how often. The only thing I have delt wit his Cancer and bloat. All in the last 5 months.
    Can you help?

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    It will take ALOT of red cell. You can get injectable iron at TSC or the vet - like $5 a bottle and if you don't want to give it IM, just squirt it in orally. How big is she?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say that she is about 100 pounds.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    You can give her 2cc orally daily and supplement with molasses water. Check her temp of course, and give nutridrench to keep her going. Check for lice. They can feast when a goat is down with internal worms. Make sure she's moving so pneumonia doesn't set in and make sure rumen still going strong.

5. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    duh - the 2cc is of the injectable iron. Sorry about that.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Isn't the dosage for Red Cell in anemic adult goats like 10-15ccs?

Keep up with molasses water, nutri drench, B shots 2x a day, that's all I can think of right now.

Good luck.

7. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Julie. That is why I kept putting off looking at her gums she is acting fine. Eats like crazy and is a real sweet goat. She has even decided that she was not going to be at the bottom of the pecking order.
    I have checked her for lice, being a fiber goat we check all the time. I could just kick myself. :hammer:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think we all have been there. I totaly recomend worming with Ivermectin and then follow Julie's advice on the iron. It saved my Flicka's life so I know it works.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Gums and eyelids are 2 different stories I've found when checking for anemia. I've only had a few cases, but in those cases the gums would be pink and the eyelids would be white. And on my healthy goats the ones with pales gums have the pinkest eyes. Gums seem to vary a lot, which is why I rely on eyes.

11. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I have NEVER had good luck with the eyelids, I always check their gums and go by that, like goathappy said, two very different things! We had a doe, well you all know was acting dumpy and everything, well she had polio, her eyelids were pink as can be but her gums were sheet white. I always go by the gums, but thats just my 2 cents :lol:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats to funny. I use the lower eye lids as well for my determining factor in worming.

I think it is even the individual goat that makes it vary as well.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, we gave her the Ivermectin, and I was also told to give her Safeguard. They call that a cocktail, and it will help her. I bought Red Cell last night but before I could get it home my daughter gave her a lot of Nutra Drench.
    I just received a email from the lady that I purchased her from, she said that she gave Ivermectin Oct 25th.
    I look at all my goats eyes, and gums, because yes they can all be so different. (when I remember to).

14. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Give lots of red cell and worm again in 7 to 10 days. No sooner, no later.