what to do?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 14, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I got a weatherbug alert about a winter storm watch for tomorrow into Thurs.
    Talking about a quarter inch of ice, not sure about any snow. We won't get above freezing, so I am sure with the snow we have on the ground, whatever falls will freeze.

Anything I should do for the goats? I'm going to make sure the buck's shelter is leakproof <he's got a temp shelter until we build a permanent one>, I'll put bedding down in front of his shelter and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too slippery for him.

What about the girls? Most are preggo. I have a doe due in less than 3 weeks, should I stall her and her younger sister? I doubt they'd go out in the freezing rain they are predicting, but I want to be cautious.

What would you do? My girls have been fine with the snow, they don't go out when it snows - they only come out of the barn when I am out there, and if it rains it's the same, but they don't like to come out in the rain at all.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I keep my whiskey handy in case anyone gets too cold. ;)

I also bring out hot water every once and a while because they LOVE hot water and it's good to keep them hydrated.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try to make the shelters draft free -- load up the hay feeders and make sure they have thick bedding. The warm water is also something i do.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... unless they like slamming each other....she has a ways ..to go ...so it is OK for now.... :wink:
    I agree with the others....I like giving Alfalfa it is... the best to keep them warm.... but any good hay can keep them warm...... :thumbup:

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks!
    I never thought of whiskey, hehe.
    I do give warm water at least once or twice a day depending on how cold it is out and if the water is really cold. I check the buckets to make sure they are drinking, but also catch them down by the creek drinking too.

I'll put down more bedding after we feed this afternoon, and I am going to buy more tarp to help block off the tops of the doorways so they have enough room to go in, but so the wind isn't blowing inside.

Pam - Thanks. I was worried about her slipping on ice <LOL> too, but I doubt she'll be coming out. I'll bed the shelters down extra tonight. They do pretty good at night, and are smart enough to know they need to huddle together so that's a relief :) It'll be cold the next couple of nights, but not near as cold as it was last night or a few days ago.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: Your welcome... :wink:
    I know...Slipping on ice... can cause alot of injury.... :( .... I can understand... your concern.... :hug:

Your right ....goats do snuggle up for warmth and do seem to stay warmer...that way... :hug: