What to do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newmama30+, Dec 31, 2010.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I went out tonight to check the girls, I had one that has always had overgrown hooves so was going to trim them up tonight, and give her a shot of LA200 3cc. I started her on the LA 200 three days ago cause she developed a snotty nose and cough... I have had Pneumonia going through my herd since Nov. I have lost only like 3 to it and treated many more. Anyhow when I went out tonight she was dead had just past away before I got out there, she wasn't bred. Is there anything else I can do for the rest of my herd? I don't think I can handle it if I loose anymore.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im sorry for your losses.

whats the dosage amount you were giving? I know you said 3cc but I dont know the weight of your doe

When I was fighting pneumonia I gave 1cc per20lbs for 5 days straight. I tried every other day but that didnt work.

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I didn't type the amount right I was giving 4cc, 1cc/30# she weighed about 120#, sorry bout the typo on the first post I wasn't thinking straight when I posted it...Im just a little stressed. :hair:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would up the dosage to 1cc per 20lbs for any other goats showing similar signs

have you had a recent fecal?

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So sorry for your losses... :hug:

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    no we haven't but I'm going to try to make it into town tomorrow and buy a microscope so I can do one myself, I also plan on having the vet out on Monday, I really don't have the money to but we can't afford to loose any more goats I paid way to much money out for a whole herd, if the does don't kid or loose their kids I have no way to pay back the loan...I am so stressed about this right now I bought them because I enjoyed my goats that we already had they were healthy and happy, now I only three of my original herd left I lost two of them to Silent Pneumonia, and we don't know for sure what happened to our Little Bottle Baby he was 9months old, but he wasn't what you would call friends with our big Buck that we had and he may have gotten whacked one too many times. I am really considering Kidding these girls out getting them healthy and selling them and just starting over with does that I know are healthy and that can maybe help pay for themselves.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some goats are more prone to issues but also if you dont know how to see the signs of sickness and catch it early and treat accordingly you will deal with parasites and illness in any new herd as well.

I dont post about it but I have issues from time to time with my goats, I thankfully for the most part know how to handle it and treat. I dont know yoru level of experience but I can say until you deal with something its going to try and kick you in the butt the first time you do. The longer i own goats the less I feel I know

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Stacey, that was so perfectly said. And I'm sure many of us feel better knowing that no one is perfect... we all run into issue's and even after years of experience we are all still learning.
    Every time I feel I learned something new to get a step ahead...it seems there are twice as many steps in front of me again!

Hang in there newmamma30+ ... we've been in your shoes, we've all come here seeking help, and we are so very willing to help you in any way we can. :grouphug:

9. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I want to say Thank You to everyone on the board I have learned a lot from this forum.
    Stacy we have had goats since April of 2009. I think some of my issue's as far as not knowing when some one in the herd is sick is that when we only had 5-10 I knew all the goats and had had them long enough that when someone wasn't right I could just tell. But with these girls they are almost wild won't let you touch them or even let you near them only a few are like that now I sold the one's that were really wild and couldn't be caught well at least the one's that we could corner, I still have two that won't come near me. We are moving everyone up to the heated barn tomorrow, my DH thinks that they are getting too cold down in the loafing barn.

Once Again Thank You for any and all advice.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    handling a fewer goats always makes it easier but I have seen the management of 60 goats and yes there are some losses but it can be done but much easier when the goats are less flightly. Sounds like you need to cull out the flightly ones till you get a good bead on the situation.

Hope things do better for you in the coming months.

11. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Thanks Stacy I am calling the vet out here in the morning to try and get a good handle on whats going on with these goats. I have some that look beautiful and some that look dreadful, I did get a dewormer and I am going to have him run FCE on their droppings. I am also going to ask about starting the kids on a Cocci preventative program, and have the adults tested for overload. Other than having blood tests ran for CAE and CL so I can divided into positive and negative herd wise anything else I should have them tested for?