The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was going to go with strictly the oberhasli breed. I actually sold my Nubian/Lamancha girls that originally I got for milking, but they had problems settling, and I found a nice family for them, so they left. Well, I fell in love with this adorable 9mo old Nubian, couldn't resist those ears. Here is the question...? The same farm has black and white doelings, should I just abandon the oberhasli dream, and go with a Nubian dream? Which would you choose and why? I realize this is a personal decision, but all those that I've spoken too have been no help, as many are not into goats... I do own a kinder buck, and will be co owning another kinder buck that had the oberhasli markings, so I could breed 1 generation kinders the 1st year and then buy a Nubian buckling. Nubians will be registered if I go this route.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Why not have both breeds if you like them both? I have personally raised Nubians before, and if I was choosing between them and Oberhaslis, I'd pick the obies. I may or may not be much help, but I have Oberhasli's now, and I can say, I like them.... Nubians.... not so much.

So here are my reasons I'd go with the Oberhaslis
1) They are not as loud
2) They don't seem to be as dumb (no offence to any Nubian people)
3) They are going to be smaller
4) They produce more milk
5) Less people have them
6) Because less people have them, their body style hasn't been ruined nearly as much.

And if that isn't convincing enough, look at this Oberhasli doe, then you may just keep going for your Oberhasli dream :) http://caloakgoats.com/oberhasli/index.php/reference-does/special-k

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know it's funny I haven't thought of really doing both until now:) You know that might be the solution:)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I would stick with one or two Nubians for now. They are not hardy in the wet and cold. They were always the unhealthiest goats I had. They may have changed in several years but, worth checking out...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would stick with one or two Nubians for now. They are not hardy in the wet and cold. They were always the unhealthiest goats I had. They may have changed in several years but, worth checking out...
Yikes, I hope not. I guess we will see with Mitzi:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree, go with both ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Why not have both breeds if you like them both? I have personally raised Nubians before, and if I was choosing between them and Oberhaslis, I'd pick the obies. I may or may not be much help, but I have Oberhasli's now, and I can say, I like them.... Nubians.... not so much.

So here are my reasons I'd go with the Oberhaslis
1) They are not as loud
2) They don't seem to be as dumb (no offence to any Nubian people)
3) They are going to be smaller
4) They produce more milk
5) Less people have them
6) Because less people have them, their body style hasn't been ruined nearly as much.

And if that isn't convincing enough, look at this Oberhasli doe, then you may just keep going for your Oberhasli dream :) http://caloakgoats.com/oberhasli/index.php/reference-does/special-k
well hello (not to hijack ) but we are up your way, Nevada city actually and ended up with 3 obers... are liking them very much.... and initially wanted Nubians as well (didnt work out with that breeder and we sort of fell into the Obers).... Just wanted to say Hi and that we were in a similar situation... and havent ruled out the Nubians completely but the Oberhasli is what Fate delivered to us...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, since this lady with the oberhasli's is trying to get all the records straight for my buckling to get him registered, I'm going to go with both. I'll have just 1 of each for now. Actually I have 2 kinder does that will most likely be sold in May or so, I'm hanging on to them for milking purposes for now though. Then I have Bella an oberhasli/Alpine cross, not registered but oh well, she will be ready to breed next year, then Mitzi my Nubian doeling 9mo that is bred to my oberhasli buck, who if he gets registered I could possibly register the kids experimental, then I will be getting a oberhasli doeling in December, who will be registered, so next year I could breed her... That should be enough for 1 person to train, feed, and do all the necessities with don't ya think? I also have 2 ober wethers, 1 kinder wether (trying to sell) 2 Rideau Arcott sheep.... So yeah I will NOT be bored:) Thanks for all the suggestions.... Now hopefully I don't end up keeping all the kids, then I would be in BIG trouble:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well hello (not to hijack ) but we are up your way, Nevada city actually and ended up with 3 obers... are liking them very much.... and initially wanted Nubians as well (didnt work out with that breeder and we sort of fell into the Obers).... Just wanted to say Hi and that we were in a similar situation... and havent ruled out the Nubians completely but the Oberhasli is what Fate delivered to us...
Not hijacking at all:) I love the oberhasli markings, personality, and their gentleness too, but those darn cute ears on those Nubians..., got me......:)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Well hello there! What breeder did you get your Oberhasli's from?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, since this lady with the oberhasli's is trying to get all the records straight for my buckling to get him registered, I'm going to go with both. I'll have just 1 of each for now. Actually I have 2 kinder does that will most likely be sold in May or so, I'm hanging on to them for milking purposes for now though. Then I have Bella an oberhasli/Alpine cross, not registered but oh well, she will be ready to breed next year, then Mitzi my Nubian doeling 9mo that is bred to my oberhasli buck, who if he gets registered I could possibly register the kids experimental, then I will be getting a oberhasli doeling in December, who will be registered, so next year I could breed her... That should be enough for 1 person to train, feed, and do all the necessities with don't ya think? I also have 2 ober wethers, 1 kinder wether (trying to sell) 2 Rideau Arcott sheep.... So yeah I will NOT be bored:) Thanks for all the suggestions.... Now hopefully I don't end up keeping all the kids, then I would be in BIG trouble:)
Yup you sound like you will be busy!.....
I dunno, we have 2 Nigie mix (togg?) doelings and will probably be tempted to keep one of the kid does....Just to see what the milk is like (getting a registered Nigerian Buckling in NOv)....
The only goat we have ever milked is our Oberhasli doe, and she is a really nice to milk (teat size wize, she is as actually new to milking herself and isnt the most patient, but daughter took to it like a charm)... Not sure how we will ever go back in size to try milking the smaller sized/teated does....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts