The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my friend went out to feed and found her Nubian cross doe(approx 10 yrs old) urinating frequently and straining. At the time the urine was normal colored. She went to the vet, ran a chem and CBC, fecal and all came back clean. I wasn't there so I'm not sure exactly what all they did. She said when they got the fecal sample she started urinating and it had blood in it. The vet was also adamant she had heart failure. After listening multiple times, he said the heart actually sounded perfect. He still thinks she might have heart failure and told her to cut out all minerals because they are high in sodium. But I thought a GOOD loose goat mineral was essential and not as high as what he was saying? They are on mostly grass, hay, leaves and a small amount of a goat feed. The vet was less than helpful and didn't tell her anything and I don't know how to help her. Goat vets are scarce locally. A&M is a bit of a drive, but she may end up there. This is the most knowledgable place for goats I know and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions?

This goat also had a severe case of mastitis several years ago and had to have her udder removed. As well as constantly being in heat, which I think is related to cyst.

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
wow..poor girl has been through it....how is her temp? 101.5-103.5 is normal range. if there is blood in the urine and she is straining.....I think even with no fever at this point I would put her on antibiotics...I used Nuflor when my doe had an infection of the uterous and it worked well...3 cc per 100# sub Q once daily fro 5-7 days...

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think she's pregnant. Right now there are no goats any where near that could have snuck in and she doesn't look it. But earlier this spring, around April, she found a buck in her pasture. She doesnt have a clue how he got there, but got him out as soon as she found him. It would be terrible if that was the case. Both her goats are old girls now and both had bad pregnancies after she got them.Temp was normal yesterday, 102.0 I think. I haven't talked to her today though. I thought antibiotics might be a good idea, but I wasn't sure. I will be sure to tell her. Thank you

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
I agree with the minerals as well..

a buck in back in April would have produced kids in september...so no worries there...

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the sweetlix minerals be ok? I know locally we can get them, manna pro , adm and purina.

That's the only time they have been near a buck fortunately. The way her fencing is someone had to have put him in there. Why, I don't know.:shrug:

They are like her kids and she already lost her other 2 earlier this year. I want to help her out in any way so she doesn't lose her too. I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
Its good to put out loose salt...I use Sea90 now...it has 90 minerals in it...not enough to replace loose minerals...but better than plain salt : ) ..They will only eat what they need and it encourages more water intake...

a quality cow loose mineral works well for goats..like onyx now minerals

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Monday she seemed a little better. Her temp was 101.2 and she was out eating grass and some alfalfa and is still drinking good. She did get antibiotics and I believe has now finished them. She picked up some nutri drench and 1 other goat supplement for her. And on the blood work she was anemic. We did find out that she has fluid in the abdomen too. We got a sample of it and some more blood to send out. She's ok today, so it will be interesting to see what the results are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.