The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm offering up my kinder, and oberhasli buck for stud service on CL. So I get this email asking for my oberhasli to breed her kinder? I have to admit that breeding accidentally happened here, because my ober buck got out. I'm thinking not a good idea. What do you all think? I don't want to tell her no, but maybe I should. I find it odd that she would ask for my ober, because I have my kinder on the ad too...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking it's gonna be a "NO" all the way around, as she wants to pick him up the 1st week in January... Nope, I have to check out the living quarters first, and prefer he doesn't leave home.. Oh well.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Maybe they're just starting out, you could explain to her why you think the Kinder buck would be better.

I'm ok with leasing mine out, but I charge more than I do for on-site stud and I deliver them so I know where they'll be staying.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe they're just starting out, you could explain to her why you think the Kinder buck would be better. I'm ok with leasing mine out, but I charge more than I do for on-site stud and I deliver them so I know where they'll be staying.
I emailed her back to explain why the the kinder would be better.

I'm the same way with my bucks when leasing out. Curious how much do you charge for onsite and leasing?

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Oberhasli is a medium breed, much bigger then a kinder. They are a small breed they stand about 24" at the shoulder. That's the dilemma.
Ok, I see where you are coming from. I'm not sure what to tell you because I can see where, regardless of what you do, it could end up biting you in the butt. You could try to explain why the mating is not a good idea, but it is ultimately the owners decision on what he/she wants to breed his/her goat to. If you go along with what they want to do, there could be repercussions if the birth is a difficult one. On the other hand, if you refuse to let him/her use your buck to breed their doe, that could also cause repercussions because you refused.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I see where you are coming from. I'm not sure what to tell you because I can see where, regardless of what you do, it could end up biting you in the butt. You could try to explain why the mating is not a good idea, but it is ultimately the owners decision on what he/she wants to breed his/her goat to. If you go along with what they want to do, there could be repercussions if the birth is a difficult one. On the other hand, if you refuse to let him/her use your buck to breed their doe, that could also cause repercussions because you refused.
Exactly:) I kindly pointed out my concerns so hopefully she will just want my kinder buck. I guess we shall see. No response as of yet. Like Zebra said maybe she is new to goats and don't realize the size difference. Thanks!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Its a bit more rare but you do know there are some nasty STDs for goats. Ones that can effect, be pasted on at birth to kids. Id do some research on them and then weigh if its worth it. Here, we decided its not.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a bit more rare but you do know there are some nasty STDs for goats. Ones that can effect, be pasted on at birth to kids. Id do some research on them and then weigh if its worth it. Here, we decided its not.
Yuck! I am requiring testing to be done, which this person hasn't said yay or nay too, but haven't thought of STD's:( I'll do some research on that, thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.