The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started in goats I got a couple of meat/dairy cross (Boepines) doelings with the intention of breeding them for meat and milk. I only have so much money/time I can afford per animal, so as a rule every animal on my homestead must have a purpose beyond "pet". Now that I've done more research, I'd like to get into Cashmere goats, however, I do not wish to part with my does as I love them very much.

I have heard that crossing an Angora with a non-Angora creates Cashmere kids. Is this true? If so, would that be a good route to get meat, milk, sale kids, pack animals and a decent fiber? If not, would it terribly damage the quality of Cashmere if I were to breed my girls with a Cashmere buck? This fiber would be used mostly for myself and family, so no need for it to be outstanding sale-quality.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Some goats would have nice fiber, some wouldn't. Aren't Angora goats on the small side? That wouldn't work as well for meat. It would also reduce milk since you are breeding out dairy. Is everything just for personal use?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some goats would have nice fiber, some wouldn't. Aren't Angora goats on the small side? That wouldn't work as well for meat. It would also reduce milk since you are breeding out dairy. Is everything just for personal use?
For the most part, yes. Me and family/close friends. I also plan to dam raise, only taking milk here and there. So you'd recommend a Cashmere buck, most likely producing hit or miss fiber kids? Within 4 hours of me (yes, I'd drive that far for a good goat) is a Spanish Goat farm that boasts not only good meat but also quality Cashmere. I might be able to snag a buckling or stud from there.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I take it that wool is more important than milk. Obviously your Alpine girls will have plenty of milk but you are breeding out the good milk production by breeding with Angora or Cashmere. Just keep that in mind. Also you need to figure out your market for selling kids. You need to find out type of goat that sells like if people want pure breeds or fine with mixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it that wool is more important than milk. Obviously your Alpine girls will have plenty of milk but you are breeding out the good milk production by breeding with Angora or Cashmere. Just keep that in mind. Also you need to figure out your market for selling kids. You need to find out type of goat that sells like if people want pure breeds or fine with mixed.
Yes, my family doesn't use a whole lot of milk and when we do it's usually as cheese. Fiber and meat is more important now, especially when winter creeps up on us lol

We have a large Jamaican community here, so most kids will go as meat goats for both me and customers.

It's just the two does currently, so at most I should have 4 maybe 5 kids at a time. I think I'd keep the best fiber kids and simply eat/sell the culls.

As for purebreds, my community seems to buy up mostly Nigerian or mixes thereof, so if these guys are on the smaller side it should be okay.

I do hope to have enough space and money to expand into proper Cashmere goats, but for now I love my girls and am just hoping to produce something good enough for myself/family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts