What to feed 8 wk wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by texasgoatmama, Apr 16, 2008.

1. texasgoatmama

texasgoatmama New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Poolville, TX
    I am starting to wean them at 8 wks and have been giving them alfalfa hay with medicated goat pellets. It's time to buy more feed and I wanted to make sure on what to feed them. Do I continue on medicated feed or something different. Thanks for any advice.

Editted to ask- What is a healthy treat that my youngsters can have?

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i don'r wean mine till they are atleast 3 mos old. but then i do give them the medicated(for cocci) till they are 6 mos old. i do put it out free choice at 2 weeks but they just pick at it.
    my goats love the peanuts in the shell & also fruit like orangs & water melon

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stick with the medicated feed, since thats what they are on til they are at least 6 months old. Then you can transition to your normal feed. Try getting a mixed grass hay if you can, I know alfalfa can be expensive but it is a very rich hay, so the boys will not need to be "fat" as they are not producing for you.

4. texasgoatmama

texasgoatmama New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Poolville, TX
    So medicated feed til 6 months and a mixed grass hay. Like what, can they have coastal? Is there something better?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine is usually "orchard" mix...timothy and just the general long grasses..It's what I can get locally here. As far as treats go, mine like cheerios, raisens, animal crackers, graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, etc...if it's good for you, try it on them. I alsoi give fruits and veggies from the garden or xtra's that I have in the house...babanas, oranges etc. Try them with what you like. mine even like the occassional sweet treat...twizzlers, jellybeans and sweet tarts!