The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of so many things I should feed. I just need some help figuring out what to feed and when.

1) What supplements do I feed?
2) What is BOSS?
3) are their natural things I can feed to prevent sickness and parasites?
4) what grain should I feed?
5) Is there anything special I should do or feed during pregnancy and after?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Personal answers here (and I haven't had goats long)

1. nothing as a regular practice
2. BOSS= Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - I do feed these.
3. Like herbal wormers?
4. some people here like Purina, my goats like Blue seal feeds Caprine Challenger. Some people mix their own. Find out what your goat is currently eating and start from there.
5. There is a lot of information here on that and also at Fias Co Farm.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
welcome to the forum!!!

ok....let's see if I can help answer your questions.... and please know that everyone does things a little different, just take all the information you'll get, and make a decision that is right for YOU. :)

my girl gets free choice minerals and baking soda. I copper bloused her just recently. She also gets vitamin C (helps fight mastitis) and raw garlic cloves (overall immune booster) daily.

2) What is BOSS?

black oil sunflower seeds. I get mine in the bird department. they're just sunflower seeds with the shells still on (kind of a fancy name for them.....)

you can get herbal wormers from Mollys and other sites (I can't remember them right now - I follow something similar to Mollys). There's also a fb page called "TotallyNaturalGoats" that you have to ask to be a part of, but it's very helpful if you're going the natural route. I would still recommend having chemical wormers and other medicines in case you need something stronger.

there are certain foods that prevent sickness and parasites. they kind of work like humans....what's good for you is usually good for goats. make sure they're not on the toxic list though.

i'm limited on what I can get, so my girls get oats, split peas, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets.

here's a website that has great information http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html.

just don't feed grain towards the end of the pregnancy...don't want the baby to get too big. this forum also has a lot of threads on taking care of pre- and post- natal does.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome to the forum!!!

ok....let's see if I can help answer your questions.... and please know that everyone does things a little different, just take all the information you'll get, and make a decision that is right for YOU. :)

my girl gets free choice minerals and baking soda. I copper bloused her just recently. She also gets vitamin C (helps fight mastitis) and raw garlic cloves (overall immune booster) daily.

2) What is BOSS?

black oil sunflower seeds. I get mine in the bird department. they're just sunflower seeds with the shells still on (kind of a fancy name for them.....)

you can get herbal wormers from Mollys and other sites (I can't remember them right now - I follow something similar to Mollys). There's also a fb page called "TotallyNaturalGoats" that you have to ask to be a part of, but it's very helpful if you're going the natural route. I would still recommend having chemical wormers and other medicines in case you need something stronger.

there are certain foods that prevent sickness and parasites. they kind of work like humans....what's good for you is usually good for goats. make sure they're not on the toxic list though.

i'm limited on what I can get, so my girls get oats, split peas, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets.

here's a website that has great information http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html.

just don't feed grain towards the end of the pregnancy...don't want the baby to get too big. this forum also has a lot of threads on taking care of pre- and post- natal does.

hope this helps!
How do you feed the vitamin C?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I bought vit C powder, and just sprinkle it on their food or a treat where it will stick to it (e.g. banana peel). you can buy those chewable tablets, and some goats will gobble them up.

I read on this forum a while back saying they knew an old time dairy goat farmer (farmed for like 40 yrs or something) who gave their girls a vit C tablet every day, and never had a case of mastitis..... i'm trying to find the thread. when I find it, i'll post it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts