what to feed da goats in the wintertime

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by beefy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    what does everyone feed their goats in the winter time.

i have bahia, bermuda, and peanut hay on hand (thats what the cows eat)

someone told me goats dont like bermuda hay?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have used bermuda hay -- you will have to try it to see if you goats wont like it. I cant see why they wouldnt eat it :shrug:

I feed mine the same in the winter as the summer -- just a little more hay to keep them warm

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

more hay and not nearly as much grain, grain just makes them fat and early in their pregnancy they dont need much if any.
    beth

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    A bunch of hay and a little bit of grain. That's what I feed mine!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I free choice grass hay and feed alfalfa once daily and if needed I grain them a little bit starting in Dec., but usually like to start graining them in Jan. Feb. and March if needed. Make sure minerals are out of rain and snow and they have plenty of water.

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My goats very much enjoy coastal bermuda hay. And where you are located (GA) I am sure it is plentiful and cheap. I would give it a try if I was you. I think you will be surprised how much they like it. I buy two kinds of hay, the coastal bermuda & oat/wheat/rye grass. The coastal bermuda is much much cheaper than the oat/wheat/rye grass I buy so I mix the two together to make the O/W/R grass last longer and cut my cost down some.
    I feed the same in the winter as summer only provide more hay during the colder months as they tend to eat more.

7. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I guess it depends on the goats. Mine didnt care for the coastal bermuda hay and here your lucky if you can get it fresh smelling and green. And when you can your lucky to get any cause everyone buys it. Otherwise its a dry brown nasty bale of hay. I feed mine Orchard/alfalfa mix cause I can get it and its fine, green, and soft. Last year here I grained mine during the winter but this year Im going to just do what I have been doing. Hay, alfalfa pellets mixed with beet pulp, and loose goat minerals all free choice. And then give pelleted feed and beet pulp to my doe that needs some weight on her.