The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be a new goat owner soon and I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have most of it down, but i read so many different things on what to feed and how much. I will have 2 Nigerian Dwarf. 1 wether and 1 doe. They will be 2 months old when I get them. I was told by the lady I'm getting them from to feed them Purina Goat Chow and Manna Pro minerals. I am just unsure of the quantity at that age. I also want to feed hay and don't know how much they'll need. Also any opinions on keeping the wether with the doe, as he will just be banded as I pick him up. Any other advice is helpful also!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will they still be on a bottle?
I think they will be weaned when I go to pick them up. They are dam raised. If she just takes them away from their mother when I get them should I slowly wean them off milk and transition to feed? Or just straight to feed? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my 2 Nigerian dwarf wethers at 9 weeks and one thing I will say is I went out and about the purina goat feed just to get home and find it is like half corn. Wethers are supposed to have little to no grain in their diet as it can lead to urinary calculi.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I’ve gotten my goats at around 12 weeks, already weaned & eating hay + grain, so I’m not sure how to best handle that. As far as grain, Purina Noble Goat has been vet effective & is medicated, so that’s helpful. If anything, start with less & add grain if needed, I made the mistake of giving too much grain at first & it was a pain taking some away!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use purina goat feed and my guys do well on it. I use the meat goat because it has the anmonia chloride added. I mix 2 parts goat feed, 1 part crimped barley, 1/4 part beet pulp and 1/4 part BOSS, Mine have done exceptionally well on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use purina goat feed and my guys do well on it. I use the meat goat because it has the anmonia chloride added. I mix 2 parts goat feed, 1 part crimped barley, 1/4 part beet pulp and 1/4 part BOSS, Mine have done exceptionally well on it.
Great advice! Do you wet the beet pulp? When feeding it to horses it has to be soaked first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts