The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was wondering what you guys feed your wethers. I have 3 does and 1 wether and I ordered some new pans to make sure they are getting the right amount of food and not stealing it from each other. However, this means I will need to feed my wether something to keep him from running over to the others. I know wethers aren't supposed to eat a lot of grain if they eat any. So that brings me to the question, what is healthy for him?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have a wether with my does. The does eat their grain at milking. He has his own stall for his breakfast grass hay, while they eat their alfalfa hay in the big stall. After milking he joins them again. Then they all eat grass hay all day. At supper he gets a little bit of alfalfa, and more grass hay and a small handful of BOSS with his supper to make up for the alfalfa.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Hi! Crazy wether lady here :clapping:

What type of hay do you feed? What is his complete diet + supplements?

What is your water source and quality? For example: well water, softened water, city water, spring water, rainwater, etc. Please describe the hardness level also. What is hard water? Hard water is more present in wells, but any source can be hard. You may notice white residue or deposits on dishes and sinks (this can indicate high calcium), a sulfur or “eggy” smell (indicates high sulfur), or orange staining on sinks and tubs (high iron).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That all depends on your wether! I have one who gets fat, seemingly on thin air. He really only needs hay. I have in the past given him a small handful, literally 10 or 15 pellets, of a pelleted goat feed. But that was only to keep him from feeling left out when I gave the others their feed. I would tie him up, to keep him from stealing from the other goats. Now he is in with my buck, and no longer the top goat on the pecking order, so I don't have to worry about him stealing when I give my buck his feed ration every day. They get mixed grass hay, nice quality, as much as they can eat before the next feeding time. I was feeding an alfalfa mix, but got them off of that as soon as I was able to buy some different hay, since I want to save the alfalfa for my does. I was also worried about creating a calcium imbalance in their diet, since my water is very hard, with lots of calcium in it. I have never had any issues with either calcium or phosphorus stones, though. At least, not yet! (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been having trouble with my whether. He has recurring diarrhea . I have treated him for coccidia and used 3 different wormers. He is losing weight. I have been feeding him alfalfa hay and goat kibble. Should I stop the kibble?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have been having trouble with my whether. He has recurring diarrhea . I have treated him for coccidia and used 3 different wormers. He is losing weight. I have been feeding him alfalfa hay and goat kibble. Should I stop the kibble?
Hi @Jo Lynn ! You might get more responses if you start a new thread. You may want to take his temperature, and also list what kind of dewormers you've already used. I hope you can get some help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses. My profile pic is a picture of my boy. I'll give you some background info on him. He is turning 11 years old this summer and is usually pretty skinny. He has had urinary Calculi (UC) before and I was able to bring him back. He is currently being fed the same as my does (16% goat grain, black oiled sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets.) To change his diet might be as simple as taking away the alfalfa pellets.(please let me know) They all have access to regular grass hay whenever they want it. During the summer months I give them water from the hose and then during the winter I get it from the sink inside. we have a well water system. I have never noticed any white residue or orange staining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts