What to feed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by x3heimmr, May 21, 2010.

1. x3heimmr

x3heimmr New Member

May 20, 2010
    Hi,
    What do y'all feed your goats for good milk production? Does what you feed affect the amount of milk produced?
    Thanks,
    Marty

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Marty!

I have Nigerian Dwarfs as well as a few ND/Pygmy crosses, I feed Blue Seal Caprine Challenger, it's an 18% sweet mix with pellets, crimped corn and oats. Each doe during lactation gets 2 cups twice a day, a flake of hay in the morning and access to pasture throughout the day. I try and keep an eye on their condition while in milk, if they seem to be looking too skinny I up the grain.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I feed a 13% protein mix that I mix myself, here is the recipe(using 5 gallon buckets for measuring)

6 buckets oats
    3 buckets barley
    1 bucket black oil sunflower seeds
    1 bucket wheat bran (optional)
    1 bucket beet pulp (optional)
    4-6 cups corn oil (optional)

It is high energy, low protein and my girls milk great on it. I feed it to all of my goats, milking does, dry does, kids, bucks and wethers. Since it has no corn in it, there is no chance the boys can get UC from it. We feed the milkers 1 lb of grain for every 3 lbs of milk they produce, plus an extra pound if they need it for conditioning.

Our girls also have free access to good quality alfalfa/grass hay and free access to pasture 3/4 of the year.

And yes, what you feed does affect production :)

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi and welcome!!

Yes what you feed affects production.

We have french alpines, and we mix our own feed. They also have alfalfa hay available 24/7, fresh water, browse, minerals.

Our mix consists of sweet feed, alfalfa pellets, barley, oats, boss, beet pulp.

5. x3heimmr

x3heimmr New Member

May 20, 2010
    Thanks for the info so far. I have started aquiring Nubians for my children to show in a few years. They have access to pasture & water 24/7, access to grass & clover hay and they get a grain mix in the morning and evening. I started out with Purina Goat Chow and switched to a different goat ration this week offered by the local county Co-Op to see how they like it. There are four yearlings and three adult does in the herd so far. The adults seem to look thin to me but I'm not sure how they should look. I'll try to get some pics on here this week.

The last doe we bought is in milk but she only gives a small amount - about a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. Should I be able to get her production up with a good diet and regular milking - or is she done milking for the year?

Thanks,
    Marty