what to have for emeregency?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by greif, Jan 14, 2010.

1. greif

greif Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    hi

are there any threads listing what to keep on hand for emergency?

not sure what to search for

thanks

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I was wondering this too. I feel so awful about Hope because I don't have enough of the vit. b or pen. already on hand, but not sure if it keeps or not, either...

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Put a box together with first aid supplies. Mine are color coded kidding is blue first aid is red.
    Basic things you should have, vet wrap, gauze pads, betadine, pen, vit b, teramycin, electrolites (paste or powder), probiotics, scissors, i always have a sharp size fourty clipper blade thrown in my first aid box. This way if someone cuts themselves i can do a pretty close clip around the wound to see if it needs stitches. Plus then i dont get charged for the prep work if the vet does need to do stitches. some sort of wound ointment and bag bomb. This is a good start to a first aid kit. I also have a piece of paper taped to to the under side of the lid, has my numbers (cell, work and home) my vets numbers as well as a back up vet. Some very knowledgable goat people. sometimes in emergencies you forget numbers this way you have them on hand. Also i put my own numbers there for other people. If im away and someone is either sitting or checking on my goats they know how to contact me. I also had my herd color coded, each animal has either a different colored collar or a tag stating their name. There is a board in the barn saying each does name bdate and color of collar or tag (number or name) again so people sitting or checking on my animals know who is who. I have another board that changes frequently, if a doe is expecting or on some antibiotics that does name is up there with her collar color or number. It makes for an easier time if im not around.
    When i broke my ankle a few years ago and my neighbors fed for me, they said it made it really easy knowing who was who.