The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what everyone keeps on hand for rattle snake bites? We get several a year up by the house. The folks that bought my dads place across the road got 13 last year my dad usually only got 1 or 2 so I suspect theres a lot more that the cats and I dont find. Id like to be prepared just in case towns a ways away and we don't have to many options for supply's there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Benadryl and Vitamin C. You want to get the swelling down as quickly as possible. I don’t remember where I read about vitamin C, it was years ago, and I don’t even remember exactly what it does (I’ll research that again). We use as much vitamin C as possible with the bites we get here, and we’ve only ever lost one animal out of around ten. If you have access to one, a subcutaneous IV bag and recipe for saline solution. They’re a real life saver if someone gets a bad bite (although the worst bites you won’t be able to pull an animal through even with vet help), and isn’t able to drink.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Thank you!! Interesting about the Vit C Ill have to grab some next time Im in town and Ill look into the bag and saline recipe. :)
If you have a normal vet.... they may let you buy a bag of saline. :). Or two. They keep forever. My vet says... as long as the fluid is not cloudy in bag it is ok to use. They might also sell you a dose, a few doses or a bottle of a sterroid they would use on a snake bite. The most they can say is no.... is how i think anyway. :).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a normal vet.... they may let you buy a bag of saline. :). Or two. They keep forever. My vet says... as long as the fluid is not cloudy in bag it is ok to use. They might also sell you a dose, a few doses or a bottle of a sterroid they would use on a snake bite. The most they can say is no.... is how i think anyway. :).
They wont unfortunately. the one use to back when I raised show rabbits as a kid but his office has changed since adding another vet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pat Coleby recommends big doses of Vitamin C for snakebite in her books. We keep a bottle in the fridge along with a syringe but so far have had no need to use it. Don't know if it works or not but we did talk to a woman whose dog had been bitten by a snake and after injecting it with a large amount of C, she then set off to drive the dog to the vet's in town but said the dog improved so much on the way in that she turned around and went back home again. The dog survived. Anyway, it's there if we need to try it out sometime on two- or four-leggeds!

camooweal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts