What to look for in a goat sitter.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, Jul 20, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Does anyone know some good questions to ask someone before I let them NEAR my goats? I know, all I'm having them do is feed and water, but, I don't like the thought of leaving my children with a stranger, even one I know from work. Plus Brigitte and Bunny might decide to go into labor. :hair:

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Have you decided where to look for someone at? When I go out, I get my son to feed. (he doesn't know anything about goats) I live him a page with vet number plus his card on the fridge. I make sure I have plenty of feed. I measure and put feed feed in large ziplock bags with AM or PM trough or bin in black maker on each bag. (I feed twice a day plus hay in the morning.) I fill all buckets in the AM and check that night.

Make sure they have a way to get to the house even if something happens to their car. (mom or dad's car, mate's car etc.)
    If they get sick, they do understand the goats still need to be checked on.
    Maybe put out more water buckets and hay areas than you normaly do. Just in case.
    If they come from vet, feed store etc. check to make sure they are relyable.
    Do you have an LGD? Have the person come out a couple of times to meet everyone and see where everything is. Post times, amounts and anything to watch out for.(preggy girls)
    Have a birth kit on hand just in case. (towels, iodine etc.)
    All cell phone numbers on list and their numbers in your cell phone. Hope this helps. :hug:
    Gina

3. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    You're leaving goats that are due to kid? :shocked:

#1 thing I'd be looking for in a goat sitter if I were YOU is somebody who knows what a goat in labor looks like and what to do to help her. Otherwise I'd stay home.

4. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I would stay home if I could. My grandma passed two days ago and in September we are having a last family reunion. My grandma was what kept the family together. Now that she is gone, we are starting to drift apart. All my cousins are either in HS or college, so pretty soon they will move away and start their own families. I'm not sure of Brigitte's due date, I got her from a lady who thought she might be preg, not really seeing it now though. Bunny, will be due at the end of September, I'll be back in time for her.

5. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Of course there are exceptions to every rule but there are many responsible teens in 4H and FFA. Most have worked with livestock of one kind or another for years. Either of those organizations might be a good place to start looking.

6. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I understand the situation you're in now. The same thing has happened to my extended family. Grandmother passed and now all of her 10 children are gone too. I have about 50 first cousins who I doubt I'd recognize if I met them on the street. The only time we see each other is when somebody dies. I last saw them all 11 years ago when my own mother died. It's sad, but that's what happens unless you force the issue by organizing family reunions. The suggestion for finding a 4H or FFA kid is a good one. Plus, they have their leaders for backup if one of your goats does decide to kid or otherwise gets in a jam. Call your county extension office and they'll put you in touch with leaders.

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I' m sorry she passed. Did you get to see her? :hug: :pray: For you and the family.

Gina

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I wish one of us Texan TGS members were closer and could help you out