The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a Nubian/Boer buck but sadly we lost him. But i want to get another but will most likely be a fullblooded Nubian. so i was just wondering what to look for in one? I want a very colorful boy! If you could post a pic of your Nubian and or Nubian mix that would be great!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
These folks have some lovely bucks. Check out the pics and descriptions for what to look for! COZY CREEK RANCH

I read that, back in the day, Nubians were considered a dual purpose milk and dairy breed. I, personally, want to breed for that. So I'm always looking for bucks who have a good milking and udder background, and have a nice, proportionate, heavy body. Haven't gotten my ideal buck yet, but I think I'm getting closer. If you're breeding Nubians, you are probably already aware of G6S testing. If you're buying a buck, I highly recommend that you buy one who is G6S normal, so then you can breed him to any of your does without having to test the does first.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I used to have a Nubian/Boer buck but sadly we lost him. But i want to get another but will most likely be a fullblooded Nubian. so i was just wondering what to look for in one? I want a very colorful boy! If you could post a pic of your Nubian and or Nubian mix that would be great!

If you want milkiness and good lasting udders from your buck... you cannot milk color. Look at his dam and grandams for udders, teats and euchusian. You want a nice strong roman nose. Otherwise learn what good conformation looks like.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These folks have some lovely bucks. Check out the pics and descriptions for what to look for! COZY CREEK RANCH

I read that, back in the day, Nubians were considered a dual purpose milk and dairy breed. I, personally, want to breed for that. So I'm always looking for bucks who have a good milking and udder background, and have a nice, proportionate, heavy body. Haven't gotten my ideal buck yet, but I think I'm getting closer. If you're breeding Nubians, you are probably already aware of G6S testing. If you're buying a buck, I highly recommend that you buy one who is G6S normal, so then you can breed him to any of your does without having to test the does first.
Those are very good looking goats! And yes I am aware.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want milkiness and good lasting udders from your buck... you cannot milk color. Look at his dam and grandams for udders, teats and euchusian. You want a nice strong roman nose. Otherwise learn what good conformation looks like.
I know you can not milk color lol And it's really hard to even find ONE Nubian buck around here so I'm on a hunt to find them!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So sorry for your loss. What did he die from?
We don't know. One night when we were out side doing some clean up i got him out of the pasture for a bit to let him graze and he would take a bite and lay down. Then he would repeat. The next day I went to do morning feeding and he was dead. No idea what happened...but....he was my baby.....i miss him so much....... RIP my love.❤

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I know you can not milk color lol And it's really hard to even find ONE Nubian buck around here so I'm on a hunt to find them!
I said that about color because that is nearly the first thing you said you wanted. ;). Some people get stuck on colors and eye color when there are some amazing plain jane animals out there. Me.... i love my plain janes!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I said that about color because that is nearly the first thing you said you wanted. ;). Some people get stuck on colors and eye color when there are some amazing plain jane animals out there. Me.... i love my plain janes!
The majority of my herd is plain brown. I joke that I must collect brown animals. I'd love a flashy, blue roan doeling out of my favorite doe (she had a blue roan buckling last year) but I'll settle for a plain brown one, too. That being said, I could have sold that blue roan buckling several times over, while his brother, who was just as nice, though not as flashy, was much harder to sell.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i know lol Most of my herd is "Plain Jane" but i love them anyway lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts