What to look for in young kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by comingsummers, Jan 6, 2011.

1. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello all. All of my girls are bred and seem to have taken (now heat after a month anyway) and I'm expecting kids mid May. So... I'm wondering what you all look for in your little babies when you decide who you are retaining and who gets sold. Also, what makes a kid stay a buck instead of getting weathered in your herds? I hope to retain at least one or two doelings and I have a friend that is interested in a buckling, but I want to be sure that the boy is good enough if I'm going to leave him a buck.
    I have three does, one is a Sable/Nubian cross, and a FF, and I will more than likely sell any kids she produces and will definitely weather any boys. My second is an American Sable with nice conformation and one of the most beautiful udders I've ever seen, but only produces about three quarts a day at peak. She has pretty good bloodlines and is bred to a lovely purebred Sable. Her daughter is my third doe, she is purebred due to the open herdbook, and she will be a FF this year. Her father has great bloodlines, including a 10* milker (Chocolate Raisin) as his fathers dam. She is beautiful and looks like she will be a great milker, but no proof yet. She is bred to the same buck as her mom, he also has very nice milky lines and a great build.
    So I guess my questions are; which breeding seems more promising for a buckling or doelings to retain? And more importantly, what can you look for in those cute little babies that will give you an idea of future greatness. To me all those little ones are just super cute, but I don't really know how to tell if they will mature nicely. :scratch: Anyway, thanks for all your input! And sorry for this being so long!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well when keeping a doe kid ...you want one... with great teat structure 1x1 clean with any dairy type of goat.... standing square.... good bite.... good pigment... strong pasterns.... it is hard to judge how the goat will mature...in the capacity of milk she will produce and the shape of her udder til she freshens..... but even then it takes a few kiddings to truly know the potential.... of that goat....

Bucks have to be 1x1 clean....no split in testicles is best... standing square.... good bite.... good pigment... strong pasterns...just as the does....

You want as perfect animal... as you can get... if you are to keep a kid..... buckling or Doeling..... Look up the breed standards.... so you will know what to look for... they must have that look of wow factor.... potential..

Any kids with flaws such as extra teats...bad testicles...weak pasterns...ect... or is not a looker and just doesn't grow or doesn't look nice....

remember conformation is the key.... :wink: :thumb:

Knowing the Sire and Dam's milking capacity....in the lines is good to know ....to know the possible potential of the offspring....

Even the nice kids can change and not be as nice when mature...there are those few.... :wink:

3. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    I look for width and length. A narrow front or a short back won't improve. Also, watch them walk from every direction. You can tell when they're hocky or pidgeon toed. I want to see long, wide, square kids with a lot of heart girth. Some of my best does have come off of grade does bred to really nice bucks. So, if they have better conformation they are just as likely to be kept(and shown). Now on bucks you really need conformation PLUS bloodlines. If you're going to eventually use the buck for stud to registered does people are going to ask what herd is he out of. And most likely they'll want to see his performance pedigree. Showing potential in the paperwork really helps.

4. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Thanks for the fast and helpful reply! One question though, what is 1x1 clean? Hope that's not a stupid question! Thanks again!

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not stupid at all.... :thumb: :hug:

It is one teat per side...with no little knots..or..attaching extra teats to it........ 1x1 clean teated is ideal... :wink:

6. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Thanks Pam. Also good info nagismom. Good to know what won't improve with age. Are there things that are typically wrong on kids that change as they age? Like a steep rump for instance? Just trying to make the most educated decisions when the time comes. Also I plan on possibly keeping a weather for carting and packing. Anything special to look for with that in mind? Thanks, you guys are all great!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :thumb:

Sometimes....Steep rump is hard to determine.... as when they grow... some can be off.... but others do... keep their straightness.... you know those animlas will possibly keep... from the steep look....

When kids are just born... it is hard to tell the teat structure... because they are so small...and spotting little flaws... is hard.... so.... it is best.... to look at them closer to weaning age.... :wink:

If a bite is off ...as a kid.... it is more likely... that the bite ...will be even more so off....as they get older......

If a kid over all ....doesn't look like a nice animal...with width ...ect...then the odds of that animal.... not having those good qualities.... is lessened....

As for some bucks.... with slight splits.... I have found ....that they fill in ....as they get older.... it all depends on the size of the split....

If an animal has 75% pigment by weaning age... it is most likely that.... the pigment ....will come in full....as they get older....now...If they only have 25% they may only get 50%.... older..

Pasterns...if weak usually ...stay weak and become weaker with age...

With a packing animals...size matters.... they should grow of big size... as it makes it easier for them ...to pack....they also need.... real good feet... this is very important... :wink:

8. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    All GREAT info! Thanks so much! Now, does anybody have any pictures of keeper kids when they are little and then also the problems noted above? That way I (and anybody else that is learning this stuff too) can SEE what all this means. Thanks so much!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Check out my home page... on my website...you will see nice kids there....so you will know.... what to look for...I don't have any pics ....of the less desirable s....if you will.... :wink:

10. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Beautiful goats! I'm always blown away by how FAT boers look compaired to my dainty little dairy girls... Very nice animals regardles though! I see the width and length you mentioned for sure. Thanks!