I'm planning on purchasing a Doe and a wether this spring. I'm going to visit the farm and goats this weekend. What should I look for and what questions are important to ask when buying from a farm?
Oh cool someone else from the east coast! I have a friend that's I think still selling some nice doelings and two wethers. She's really nice, reputable, and all hers are papered. She's in Southern MD like me though so not sure if that too far for you..
I like registered goats, because you know what you are getting. You know they are the breed, age, etc, the seller says they are. If you get into breeding and showing, they should be papered. But if you just want pets, no reason to have papers..
I know that Freedom Star Farm is in NJ.. Three Havens Farm, End Of The Line Farm.. I know there are more lol!I'm in NW Jersey and always looking for nice looking NNigerians! I presently have 5 guys and love them! If you know of any breeders over this way, let me know! Good luck with your search.
Ummmm we have quite a bit of goats with waddles and all of them have come out of the ring with a reserve or grand....What to look for in a show goat?
1. The judges definitely don't like waddles
2.They ghouls have a straight backs
3. They should also have straight legs
4. Make shore to name your goat something appropriate (no foolish)
5. They should have hooves that are not deeply chipped or punctured
6. They must have all shots and up to date medical care
7. Make shore to check the parents for any issues too