The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a Doe and a wether this spring. I'm going to visit the farm and goats this weekend. What should I look for and what questions are important to ask when buying from a farm?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Make sure they test for at least CAE, CL, and Johnes. Ask about registration papers if they're registered or are going to be. Health records, vaccinations, stuff like that.. if they're tattooed, make sure it matches what's on the papers..
I probably forgot something, I'm sure somebody else will give you a better list :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
What to look for: Friendly, alert goats. Clean conditions, feed, water, housing, etc. Bright eyes and coats. Check gums and eyelids, make sure they're pink. Make sure the goats are at a healthy weight, not too fat, not too skinny. Trimmed hooves.

Questions to ask: What is their herd management? What do they worm with and how often? Ask for recent test results for CAE, CL, and Johnes, and of course make sure they're all negative. What do they feed? (I would ask this so you can either feed the same stuff if it looks like they are in good condition, or know to make a slow transition if you want to switch feeds) How old are the goats? Have they ever had coccidiosis? Are they UTD or worming and vaccines?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. Make sure all the goats seem happy and healthy and have been tested for CAE, CL, and Johnes.

I always like to just talk to a seller too and find out about them their herd. Just to make sure they care about the animals and don't seem shady. ;)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Also, make sure you can't see any abscesses or scars that would be in abscess locations. Feel the goats around their jaws, shoulders etc for any lumps. If you don't want to offend the breeder you can try to make it look like you are just petting them.

Ask about kid management, do they dam raise or bottle raise. What age do they wean at? What age do they castrate/band bucks at?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! Thanks so much everyone. I will write these things down. And if the breeder is caring for the goats properly then she shouldn't be offended. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Where are you located and what breed are you looking at? Might be able to help you find a good breeder or two. Are you wanting registered goats?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in western PA. Looking for nigerian dwarfs. Thank you. Preferably a doe and a wether. I don't need registered I don't think, not sure?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm in western PA. Looking for nigerian dwarfs. Thank you. Preferably a doe and a wether. I don't need registered I don't think, not sure?
Oh cool someone else from the east coast! :) I have a friend that's I think still selling some nice doelings and two wethers. She's really nice, reputable, and all hers are papered. She's in Southern MD like me though so not sure if that too far for you..

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I like registered goats, because you know what you are getting. You know they are the breed, age, etc, the seller says they are. If you get into breeding and showing, they should be papered. But if you just want pets, no reason to have papers..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in NW Jersey and always looking for nice looking NNigerians! I presently have 5 guys and love them! If you know of any breeders over this way, let me know!

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi. I'm from western New York. I purchased my goats from riverviewgoats.com. They're/we're located between buffalo and rochester, up by the lake. I've been absolutely thrilled with my NDs. If you're in the Erie area it wouldn't be a far drive at all. Check out the website.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i would get the papers on the doe, because you just never know what will happen down the road. after the summer i had trying to get a doe registered from lost papers on the grandparents it was a mess

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'm in NW Jersey and always looking for nice looking NNigerians! I presently have 5 guys and love them! If you know of any breeders over this way, let me know! Good luck with your search.
I know that Freedom Star Farm is in NJ.. Three Havens Farm, End Of The Line Farm.. I know there are more lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Liz on here is in PA :) Dolly's Acre :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
What to look for in a show goat?

1. The judges definitely don't like waddles
2.They ghouls have a straight backs
3. They should also have straight legs
4. Make shore to name your goat something appropriate (no foolish)
5. They should have hooves that are not deeply chipped or punctured
6. They must have all shots and up to date medical care
7. Make shore to check the parents for any issues too

·
Registered
626 Posts
What to look for in a show goat?

1. The judges definitely don't like waddles
2.They ghouls have a straight backs
3. They should also have straight legs
4. Make shore to name your goat something appropriate (no foolish)
5. They should have hooves that are not deeply chipped or punctured
6. They must have all shots and up to date medical care
7. Make shore to check the parents for any issues too
Ummmm we have quite a bit of goats with waddles and all of them have come out of the ring with a reserve or grand....

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Judges shouldn't care about wattles. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't like them and they might place a wattled goat lower, but plenty of goats have won grand or reserve grand at Nationals and had wattles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts