What to look for when retaining a doe kid?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Last night, my Alpine doe Prodigy had triplets; two cou blanc does and one cou blanc buck. I would like to retain one of the doe kids, and sell the other. One of the doe kids was the "runt", but she really isn't much smaller than her siblings, and is actually the strongest and fiestiest of the three. But when choosing which doe kid to retain, what are things I should look for in their conformation? I really don't know what to look for in a kids this young.
    Ashlyn

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had triplets born out of my doe Lola last year and the better of the two I could tell right off was the runt. She was nocked kneed and all disproportioned but I just KNEW

here she is at a couple days old and couple weeks old
    [attachment=1:1ckmvu1y]IMG_0303.JPG[/attachment:1ckmvu1y]
    [attachment=0:1ckmvu1y]IMG_0332.JPG[/attachment:1ckmvu1y]

later on I received this picture back when she was aprox 3-4 months old: [​IMG]

Ive seen her sister and she is hocky and just so not as nice as her.

This year Lola had triplets again and I am keeping the buck and one of the doe kids. I have decided to wait till I show them to determine who is the better doe. I have an idea in my mind already but I want to see what the judges think and see how my opinion matches up.

So that said sometimes you can KNOW and othertimes its best to let them grow and wait and see.

Attached Files:

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i keep all my doe kids. When they freshen i start weeding them out. But if you cant do that, look for flatness of bone, width between the hocks wedge shape soft pliables skin. Long necks sharp tight shoulders. I would watch them grow and fill out a little before you decide. Maybe show them a couple times, and see what a couple of judges think.

4. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    I know this is going against the grain, but according to an advisor of ours, he believes as long as the genetics are there, it doesn't matter which one you keep. He would actually tell you to leave it up to the buyer who wants to pay the most for the better two and keep the one left-over. He has done this for years, has wonderful show animals, and has a very very profitable farm.

I still have a hard time with this, but probably because he has higher end genetics than I do and I have more percentage, so for me it would make more sense to keep the more correct animal. and for him he has just fantastic genetics to begin with.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that certainly wouldnt have dont me any good with the two girls born to Lola in 2010. Both were sold but one is defiantly better then the other.

I think yes if you have been breeding for many generations and already have superior goats then most it wouldnt matter who you keep and who you sell. But i wont leave it to chance like that.

6. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I had the same experience. With our Cachet, she had four kids. Three are does and one is a buck. Its just something...there. I just "knew", like Stacey said. Now we will see how they grow up, but as I am watching their development through their first month I already know that the runt and the second smallest are the finest of the litter. Nice long level backs, long necks, etc. Its just something I suppose you start to get an eye for.