The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids will be showing their goats soon, and I am stumped on what to pack in the cooler since we are usually there either all morning through lunchtime or all afternoon/evening through dinner.

In the past we usually just take fruit, I'll make sub sandwhiches, some snacks/chips, yogurt.

But this year they have 3-4 shows in one week! I don't want sub sandwiches that much in a week lol Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I know I just take snack foods with LOTS and LOTS of water. We are to busy to eat, but fruir is always a good thing.

PPJ are great and easy as well. When you are done or don't what them the goats LOVE them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
peanuts, trailmixes and lots of proteins will go a long way. When we were young and showing, my Mom made "peanut butter treats". They are peanut butter, powdered milk, powdered sugar and either honey or karo. They really gave you energy and staying power. (not for dieting people though, lol)

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! The kids do snack a lot at the shows, but typically like something kind of solid when they are at long shows. Some shows have a lot of market goat classes, so my kids usually have a chance to eat something.

I'd also thought about getting some fresh fried chicken from the grocery deli? Or trying to make some wraps? They are yummy, just haven't ever made them before.
I just don't want to eat too much bread lol

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
An insulated water jug and a large cans of gatorade. Kids, adults and goats like gatorade. Sun tea jar and tea. Chicken salad wraps, vegatable wraps, strawberries, grapes, apples, boiled eggs peeled in plastic bags, crackers, triskets, peanut butter, jelly, lunch meat sandwiches, brie, asiago, manchego, herb goat cheese, olives, cashews, walnuts, almonds, pickeled vegtables, herb roasted whole chicken, jewish rye bread and 5 bottles quality wine:) That should get you through a couple of days;)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
LOL at GTAllen. My daughter hates our school cafeteria, but refuses to eat sandwiches much and they don't have access to a microwave, so I got really good at finding cold lunch options. Tuna kits are a good start if your kids will eat tuna, they sell all flavors now. Jarred or canned cheese dip and chips. Peanut butter or nutella or both. Already cooked pre packaged bacon, then in your cooler, tomatoes, and lettuce for a blt. There are these things called big dippers my daughter likes, they have different things in them and don't have to be refrigerated. Those little drink stinks that you put in a bottle of water, lots of bottled water. Chips and crackers, granola bars. Nuts. singles of apple sauce or pudding. My daughter even likes the singles of vegetables cold. Canned pork and beans (we eat them cold). Of course fresh fruit, or cheeses. There are so many options, it really depends on your kids.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
peanuts, trailmixes and lots of proteins will go a long way. When we were young and showing, my Mom made "peanut butter treats". They are peanut butter, powdered milk, powdered sugar and either honey or karo. They really gave you energy and staying power. (not for dieting people though, lol)
I make Peanut Butter Balls ALL THE TIME! Haha,

I make them with,
1 jar peanut butter
1 stick of butter
and 4 cups powdered sugar
I mix them all together and form spoon size peanut butter balls
put them on a tray and stick em in the fridge. LOVE THEM! But they are SOOO not for the diet person!

But for fair (when I used to show) I'd pack chicken salads, sandwhiches, water, bottles of chocolate milk, chips, chips n salsa, cold wraps (chicken, lettuce, avocado, beans, ranch dressing, lil bit of bell pepper, some olives and wrap it in a tortilla), cold enchiladas, tri-tip sandwhiches, pudding
Stuff like that. Really yummy, kids loved it.

Odd thing my kids also liked was, you know the ramen noodles, Top Ramen?
Well they'd like it boiled in plain water, drain it, rinse with cold water, dump the seasoning packet in there, mix it up,
then add chopped green onion, olives, cellery, carrot shreds, mayonaise, and a tiny bit of sour cream, they loved it like that. You keep it in the fridge, it will stay good for a few days in there. I actually like it too.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
That Ramen noodle dish sounds pretty good I will have to try that. And it reminds me, pasta salad, make it at home put it in a plastic container and bring it with you. And you could fry up chicken, or chicken strips at home and put them in the cooler and eat them cold like you do at a picnic. My mom used to fry up minute steak and make me a cold sandwich out of that. It was definitely hearty and something different from what all the other kids got. And I have found I can eat sandwiches a few times, if my side items change. Having the apple sauce, and puddings, different kind of chips and dips, and possibly baked or pork and beans really makes you feel like you had a meal and not just a sandwich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts