What to use, and what not to use?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nubiansrus, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Hope this is the right forum, and this is ok to post on the site. My hubby got me some different goat things from a breeder that had sold there stock. They were cheap so he thoguht what the hec. But most of the stuff I dont know what it is... she told me about them but I wanted more opinions.

Sulfadimethoxine soluable powder- says for chickens turkeys and cattle, but she said it works great for kids?

Goat Prefer Calcium drench? -extra calcium for pregnant goats i was told.

Agripharm Bloat treatment- she told him you should never be without this if you own goats. Hmm... got three bottles now.

Cydectin Moxidectin Pour on for beef and dairy cattle- Again she said this was great wormer for goats. What you think?

Lactated Ringers injection- I dont remember what she said about this, maybe help moms produce more milks? If I remember right.

Opinion are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Lactated Ringers are to supply fluids to a goat that is not drinking/sick etc. Great thing to have on hand.

And I use Cydectin pour on wormer orally for my goats. It's an excellent wormer.

The calcium drench can be used in a pinch, however be careful as it can burn the goats throat.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the calcium drench when needed, I give all my preggy/lactating girls a TUMS though so I haven't had the need to give it. It does have the added Bvitamins and other good things to help with production. Never had a problem with it.

As Bethany said, the lactated ringers is a great thing to have on hand to give subQ when dehydration is a factor.

The Di-Methox powder is used as a treatment and a preventative for coccidosis, there are directions on mixing posted on the board.

As far as the cydectin, I personally don't use it but there are a good many members here that do.

The bloat treatment I wouldn't know about, but I'm sure that others have used it as well.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sulfadimethoxine soluable powder- says for chickens turkeys and cattle, but she said it works great for kids? this is used to treat cocci I do believe the common name for it is Sulmet

5. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    We just moved here to TN from IN, and my vet says that cydectin is the only wormer that works around here.