What to use for bugs on newly pregnant does?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laststraw, May 10, 2008.

1. laststraw

laststraw Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    I searched and searched the posts, but could not find anything saying "this is safe to use on pregnant does." We usually use the garden, pet and livestock dust (permethrin), but we just had Honey bred and I'm worried about using it on her. We don't have lice, just little flying bugs that are annoying the heck out of them - and it makes me feel so bad for them! What do you all use on your pregnant does (especially newly bred)?

Thanks!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most equine and canine sprays, powders, etc contain permethrins as a repellant, though I do use the spray for ticks this time of year on my goats and I milk them without issues. Most insecticides that contain permethrins do not have milk or slaughter withdrawal times so I would say that it's safe to use on pregnant does.

3. laststraw

laststraw Guest

Oct 6, 2007
  4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    You could get some D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) to dust them with. It's safe. Don't get the swimming pool kind though - get the livestock/animal kind. Call your local feed mills to see if any of them carry it. I found a feed mill in my area that sells 40# bags for $15 ! I was happy with that :D

You can use it to dust your goats, Spread around the pens, and even to keep in their feed - to keep bugs out. As long as you get the kind for livestock that's edible (for putting in the feed).

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Mix one cup each of white vinegar, water and liquid ivory dish soap and spray it on them, it works great.