The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you buy an antibiotic at TSC to use for pneumonia? What would you get and what would the dosage be? I have questioned pneumonia on one of my does. She has backed off eating all her grain and dropped production. Loosing her hair and it's been hard putting weight back on her since she kidded in March. We wormed her twice with Ivermec plus after she kidded so I'm thinking it can't be a worm load. She has a dry cough, and no nose discharge. I feed dumor pellets and alfalfa pellets plus grass pasture and hay.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have been told pennicilin does nothing for pneumonia, so I don't think TSC has anything that would work for pneumonia.

That being said, it sound like something other than pneumonia. Not sure what...Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Any oxtetracyline (LA 200, biomycin, duramycin) is carried by TSC dosage is 1cc per 20lbs EVERY DAY for 5 days

as to whats going on with your doe - have you taken her temp? Her symptoms dont scream pneumonia to me

·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks loggyacreslivestock and Stacey. I'm glad to hear that. I did take her temp last week but it was hot out and it was 104. I will take it again today to make sure she doesn't have a temp. What do you think is going on? I even checked for lice, nothing. I wondered if she was getting too much calcium with the alfalfa. I do know that all 3 of my Doe's milk tastes goaty after three days this year. The only thing i'm feeding different is the alfalfa. I'm backing off it to see if it makes a difference. Last year their milk was so fresh and sweet! :confused:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, my herd had pneumonia this year really bad. The kids had yellow, thick mucus coming out of their noses, cough and temps. Though the temps didn't come until a week or two after the cough and snotty noses. My yearling had no symptoms until she almost went down. Her temp was 104. She had a slight cough for a while, the kind you hear them do after eating grain... Then she slowed down on her eating. When I put my ear up to their chests, I could hear rattling...

Have you done a fecal to check for worms or cocci? What color are her eyelids? Does she have flaky skin?

After kidding, I give mine 25 or so sunflowers seeds with their grain. They get 1.5 pounds twice daily of 16% feed. I have Boers though, not milkers.

The hair loss is what's got me stumped. Is is patches, or overall?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have been told pennicilin does nothing for pneumonia, so I don't think TSC has anything that would work for pneumonia.
Actually, this is not entirely true. Although it is true that penicillin does nothing for an advanced case of pneumonia, if you catch them at the "looking off" stage, penicillin will knock pneumonia out a lot of times. Just FWIW.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Can you buy an antibiotic at TSC to use for pneumonia? What would you get and what would the dosage be? I have questioned pneumonia on one of my does. She has backed off eating all her grain and dropped production. Loosing her hair and it's been hard putting weight back on her since she kidded in March. We wormed her twice with Ivermec plus after she kidded so I'm thinking it can't be a worm load. She has a dry cough, and no nose discharge. I feed dumor pellets and alfalfa pellets plus grass pasture and hay.
Is she still eating hay or pasture? I would think TSC carries Biomycin - which is effective against Mycoplasma types of pneumonia, but hair loss is not an indication of pneumonia. Is the hair loss big chunks/patches? If so that sounds more like mites - particularly scabies. I could be wrong here, but I do not think Ivomec Plus does scabies. Is she scratching more than usual? You might want to consider having the vet do skin scrapings to either confirm or rule out scabies. Is she meat or dairy? Losing condition might be due to nursing and not enough feed if she is dairy. All I can think of right now that hasn't already been mentioned - sorry.

·
Registered
29,969 Posts
I prefere Tylan 200 over LA 200 for pueumonia....its OTC at tractor supply..1 cc per 25#
But I have to agree..without a temp I would be hesitant to treat..take her temp in the cool of the morning or evening., and a couple of times during the day...silent pueumonia does not present a fever at first and it can come and go..so checking her temp a few times thorugh out the day to get a good feel of what could be going on...

Dry cough can be either lung worms or allergies..you could give her some benedryl and see if it helps ;)

·
Registered
29,969 Posts
alfalfa should not make the milk taste goaty...whats in her graze? too much weeds can really make milk taste bad...you can give them a bit of pine needles to change the PH in the milk...should help it taste better...
add a bit of BOSS and beet pulp might help with condition
Im thinking mites could be your hair issue..Ivomec 3 times 10 days apart should help
if not mites then Mineral Def. Such as copper??
SOmetimes you have to wittle away at the causes..until you find what helps..

·
2,203 Posts
Best thing for pneumonia is Draxxin hands down. Rx of course.

·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies. She is a dairy goat, LaMancha. Her hair is not coming out in chunks, just shedding a lot and now her hair is thin! She is still not eating what she should nor producing what she was. Just seems off to me. I am wondering about copper. Have for awhile in all my goats because their tails do look like fist tails. No discolored hair though. I give them Mana Pro minerals and with the minerals added to the Dumor pellets and Alfalfa pellets I didn't think that possible. So I would like to cover my basis and copper bolus them, if they are not deficient would it hurt them to copper bolus them? It scares me to do anything afraid I will make matters worse. As the mites? That may be a possibility except none of the other goats are acting like she is.

·
Registered
29,969 Posts
Has she been tested for CAE? I know..I hate to bring it up..but sometimes a generally unthrifty goats is a positive goat while other show no sign of being positive at all..
Copper should be just fine to give, 1 gram per 22# or 1 cc per 60# how ever you prefere to measure it..
For milkers they need a lot of food to make a lot of milk..howmuch feed is she getting per day? Try adding 1/4 cup beet pulp and 1/2 cup BOSS to her feed to add both fat and oil for coat condition...Flax seed is also great for fat and gloss..
ACV in a seperate water dish for her choice to drink...start with 1/2 cup ACV to one gallon water

I would also have a fecal done..be sure there isnt something there lerking..

take a good look at her skin, with mites you will see scaly dry skin..the skin might be rough like tiny little nibble marks..red and irritated..check around ears, underbelly, inner legs and around...if you suspect its mites then do ivomec 3 times one week apart and that will get them...

·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I tested all my goats for CAE, CL & Johnes and all were negative. I will take a good look at her skin tonight and maybe have our Vet come to look at her and do a fecal. I still wonder about the copper though. Can you get the copper at TSC? I have not gotten it or given it yet. It's such a learning curve. I just want to do things right and even when we do things still happen. I lost my Nubian the first of April, right before you lost your little guy happybleats. It's not fun.

·
Registered
29,969 Posts
WOnderful news on the CAE : )
TSC should have copper..I got the one for cows and broke them down..dont know if they have them already set for Goats in smaller pills...

No..loosing them is no fun at all...Sorry you lost yours...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts