The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Well, here is what i do, but since you cant use bleach it wont be helpful to you.

1. Rinse in cold water with dish soap and scrub with a non-abraisive pad.

2. Fill bucket with hot water and put funnel inside, then use a splash of bleach and let sit for 15-20 minuites

3. Air dry until next use

Do you have access to this product?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mean-Gre...ZoOBMWwYW1-iv6SK9JgCtWDXin8_QKdMaAtYwEALw_wcB

i get it at walmart or HEB. You could use it in place of the bleach

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I can get that.
Is it sewer safe? The reason I can't use bleach is that it will kill the bugs in the sewer.
Do you mean septic safe? If you're on a sewer waste goes to a central plant to be recycled and reused as non potable water or if they really clean it they put it back into the water system.
Septic systems are generally rural single dwelling in ground systems that you have to keep "live"for waste disposal . I have one on my property that I feed a yeast to monthly. If that's the case, use a bucket of water with bleach for dipping your washed milking stuff in and then let it air dry, it won't hurt the septic that way. Every few days dump the water on a corner of your property where you don't care about the vegetation and where your animals don't eat for it's disposal.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean septic safe? If you're on a sewer waste goes to a central plant to be recycled and reused as non potable water or if they really clean it they put it back into the water system.
Septic systems are generally rural single dwelling in ground systems that you have to keep "live"for waste disposal . I have one on my property that I feed a yeast to monthly. If that's the case, use a bucket of water with bleach for dipping your washed milking stuff in and then let it air dry, it won't hurt the septic that way. Every few days dump the water on a corner of your property where you don't care about the vegetation and where your animals don't eat for it's disposal.
Yes, sorry it's a septic and we have to feed it too.
I like your idea and might go that route.
I'll have to research the stuff @Nigerian dwarf goat suggested.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Yes, sorry it's a septic and we have to feed it too.
I like your idea and might go that route.
I'll have to research the stuff @Nigerian dwarf goat suggested.
I do not have a dishwasher either. I rinse in cold water first. Wash hot hot soapy water and rinse. Add a few drops of chlorhexadine and fill with cool water again and let it all sit for thirty minutes ish... lol. Depends on if i get busy and forget. Rinse good with cool water and air dry. Every few weeks i do put everything in a big ole cannin pot to sterilize it. My collection buckets have no seams in them and i use glass jars and the hard plastic screw on lids. I ise disposable milk filters and no funnel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts