What to use? ---

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 3, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So we've had extreme wet conditions in May, we've had on and off rain the past couple of weeks with HOT and humid temps.
    We have 2 does with hoof rot - one came to us with it as I've posted in my other thread, and she is slowly starting to look better, still has an awful limp.
    One of the other does has it, and I've been watching her for a week now with a limp but couldn't find the problem, I cleaned her feet out, checked for soft spots, etc. and finally yesterday a spot opened up and I cleaned it out.

NOW, our little buckling has a tiny bit of it.

I am using thrush buster on them. I want to spray everyones feet with a disinfectant, and if I can find something I can use for them, I'll make them all stand in it.

But what do I use? I saw somewhere to use bleach, water, and a little dish liquid?

Any help would be great as I want to go to the store in just a short bit and pick up whatever I don't have.

I also plan on using duct tape and taping the infected feet.

I have some absorbant pads from when I had my youngest daughter - they are great big and they were used around a c-section incision to keep it dry from sweat. I was thinking I could cut those into pieces to fit the goats feet and tape them on, or should I just use tape only?

THe buckling isn't that bad, but I want to get his feet nice and clean with a solution, trim a bit more off and then treat him. And just duct tape him up. But I want to make the does more comfortable - one will be kidding in the next few weeks.

I've been checking feet every couple of days, but plan on cleaning everyone's feet every day, and want to use a spray on them to help keep them healthy.

I am learning as I go, and it's very discouraging just starting out and having this happen. I love my goaties, so I want to get them in shape, happy and healthy.

Thanks for any help! I want to get this done ASAP today before it decides to rain again!

2. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Re: What to use?

If it's true rot...like, with abscesses and the whole nine...I'd probably clean the abscesses out, hit the feet with a copper sulfate solution (Kopertox...available at lots of farm & feed stores), and start the affected goats on a round of BioMycin 200 to help them clear the infection.

Always wear gloves and old crappy clothing when using Kopertox. Stuff stinks, and it stains skin. The stains stink for a while, too. :p

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

AMEN on the gloves. Just did this last night to 3 of my goats. (We have had a lot of rain too) It leaked on my thigh and even after a shower and fresh cloths :sigh: I still smell like medicine. :GAAH:

The past 6 or 7 months had been rain like I've never seen. My yard is nothing but mud. After a couple days, everyone gets depressed and they don't even want to come out of their sheds. I am thinking about making walkways using wood pallets. At least they would have a dry place to lounge in the sun and get out of the buildings.

They really like to eat hay next to the fence and lounge around chewing cud. They eat and go right back in the sheds now. We have been letting them out into the front yard when we get home before it rains again, but it's never long enough between storms and being eaten alive by the skitters.

Gina

Do they make muck boots for goats? Just a thought.... :ponder: A goat in goloshes....

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Something else I just noticed....I think I'd probably skip taping or otherwise sealing their hooves. Fusobacteria necrophorum are *anaerobic* bacteria to begin with, so they'd actually thrive if you were to deprive the hooves of air.. Not a good situation.

Open and drain the wounds.. Treat with Kopertox.. Treat with tetracycline.. Turn'em loose. Repeat as needed.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

kopertox...it seals thefoot and treats.. i do all mine at the start of our wet season when i trim hooves, never had an issue with it at all

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! I called the feed store and they sell Kopertox. My cell was breaking up a bit, so any idea how big of a container it usually sells in, and do you use it straight out of the bottle or have to mix, etc. Sorry I've never heard of this stuff before. He said it was $17.99.
    They didn't have the BioMycin 200 though.

For tonight I cleaned everyones feet out, sprayed them with bleach/water/dawn dish detergent, and they looked pretty good, in fact you can hardly see anything wrong with the bucklings foot, so I am almost wondering if maybe someone hurt his leg instead of it really being hoof rot? But he does have a tiny little patch of it barely noticeable on his front foot.

I used thrush buster again, and it does seem to be helping the one does foot tremendously! <the one I rescued who had severe foot rot>.

Thanks for the info on the duct tape, I was thinking about that too as I was putting the medicine on. I'll just clean their feet 2x a day if I have too, and hopefully we get everyone comfy then I'll go to cleaning 1x a day. I am soooo GLAD today is the last day of school so my kids can help me...LOL

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

good luck, the thrush buster and tape worked on my goats.
    one doe mysteriously starting limping on her front leg, the minute she kidded. not sure whats up but she'll get the same treatment

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! The ground is trying to dry out, and their feet weren't too awful, so that's another reason I wasn't too concerned with the duct tape. However if it does get ready to rain, I'll most likely use the absorbant pads and tape them on, so they don't get as wet - get all the mud lodged up in there.

I'm going to clean out the infected goats feet 2x a day, to help keep stuff from getting trapped in there.
    I'll try to get the Kopertox tomorrow, but I need to make sure they have it in stock or if they have to order it, the phone wasn't getting a good signal for some reason so I could hardly understand what he was saying.

Is the bleach/water/dawn soap a good thing to use until I get the Kopertox?
    I just sprayed it on and between their toes after I cleaned their feet. They just need a better trim job, but otherwise, they looked fine other than the two does.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I thought I'd mention that my husband brought some animalintex home today, and a hoof pick, so we'll clean their feet out good with the pick/brush, put a little more thrush buster on, some animalintex and wrap it with duct tape.
    I've worked with animalintex years ago when we had abscesses, etc. on the mares, and it worked GREAT.
    For those not familiar with it, you can use it as a cold or hot poultice, or dry as well.

So as soon as my husband wakes up today, we'll go out and get their feet wrapped and see how the thrush buster + animalintex work. I'll continue to spray everyone else down with bleach/water/dawn soap every evening and make sure feet are cleaned out.
    Our buckling is walking a lot better today, so I am wondering if it's his hoof really bothering him or if someone hurt his leg. I won't wrap him, since there isn't enough of a concern in there to wrap - just keep it clean.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I was told they'll order the Koppertox, so hopefully I can get it in the next few days.

Our buckling has hoof scald, first it was in one front foot, and yesterday he was looking good, no real lameness noticeable, and today he was lame on the other front - hoof scald. Back feet look fine.
    I have heard this stuff can be contageous, but also I wonder if it's caused from moisture, could the dew on the grass be getting in their feet in the mornings and late evenings and causing this?
    We've had some very hot & humid days, with very little rain this past week, however, we seem to have gotten a sprinkle here and there, just enough to get the ground wet, but the ground is relatively dry now.
    We're going to get a break from the real hot, humid temps, or at least they say we are, so I hope that helps.

Everyone else is healing up, and looking much better. Molly got the hoof scald in her back foot yesterday, but seems a little better today. We're going to go out and give everyone a thorough check over in a short bit - they are all lazing by the rolls of hay we brought in yesterday so it's hard to say how anyone is progressing LOL

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan

I'd just order stuff online if they have to order it...since it will come right to my door. Unless the feed store is just around the corner?

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I agree, I really need to start ordering stuff. The feed store that I can get it at isn't very far away, thank goodness.

I wanted to add that everyone is doing about 95% better now! Sweetheart is mending well, still a bit lame, but it'll take time for her hoof to heal up <no more noticeable hoof rot/dead tissue>. Our buckling is back to his usual self and then some LOL I definitely want to get the Koppertox to use especially on rainy/hot/muggy days.

13. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.

There is an alternative to Koppertox you may want to consider. Works great, doesn't smell and costs less. Zinc Sulfate. The cheapest way to buy it is in a product called Moss-B-Ware. You can find it at places like Wal-Mart etc. It's used for killing moss on roofs, sidewalks etc.
    For hooves that have scald and not full blown rot yet I trim and clean hoof, spray with OTC iodine sold at feed stores, then sprinkle well with the zinc sulfate.
    For goats with hoof rot I make a bath of 10% zinc sulfate and make them stand in it for five minutes. Ten would probably be better. The following paragraph is from Langston University's web site. It says soaking needs to be an hour or longer but I've had good results with my five minute soaks. If your running your goats through a 8 to 10 foot trough as they also suggest they're not standing in it for any where near an hour.

"Copper sulfate (5%) and zinc sulfate (10%) are commonly used foot bath chemicals. Zinc sulfate is generally preferred as it does not stain hair and has less toxicity concerns than copper sulfate. Zinc sulfate is also not decomposed by organic matter to the extent seen with copper sulfate meaning that the solution need not be changed as frequently. Both chemicals are slow to penetrate the hoof and soaking periods of an hour or longer are necessary. Using a detergent, such as dishwashing detergent, in the solution may help penetration. Dry foot baths (85% limestone, 15% zinc sulfate) can also be beneficial."

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much for that info! We typically shop at Walmart at least once a week, so we'll check the Moss B Ware out and see which one my husband wants to go with.
    So far everyone is getting better...whew! Our buckling, Boe, was lame this morning, but I'm not sure if it's from the hoof scald <it is healing up>, or because him and our young doe got too rough playing yesterday. They felt soooo good yesterday playing all day long! So it wouldn't surprise me - but he's walking a lot better now. These two are a riot together...haha..

My husband took Sweetheart's hoof pack off, and although it smelled....BLEH....! Her hoof looked really good. He sprayed the bottom off with bleach/water/dawn soap and it was looking real good, he put more thrush buster on and repacked it with animalintex and duct tape.

I definitelyw ant to get the Zing sulfate treatment in what has been recommended, I just have to wait until the weekend to do it. I have been expecting a payment that never showed up, and it messed up our budget for the week! Just lovely when that happens. If it were an emergency we'd have what we need - but if what we are doing is working until the weekend, and everyone is doing fine, we'll wait.
    I'm glad we caught this before it got any worse! However, we're supposed to have rain tomorrow...and hot and humid weather here at the end of the week/weekend....not looking forward to that at all.

15. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Just FWIW...I've used zinc sulfate (TSC...Dr. Naylor Hoof & Heel) and copper sulfate (Kopertox) both, and found Kopertox to be MUCH better.. The zinc sulfate was like water, and had to be applied several times a day. Kopertox is sorta oily, and sticks around longer.

We had one that had scald who I treated...and treated...and treated with zinc sulfate, several times a day, yet she continued to knee-walk and hobble around. I finally tracked down a bottle of Kopertox and she was back to 100% on her feet after about 2 treatments.

Just sayin..that's my experience with the two. :)

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks cmjust0! I can get Koppertox, so I will do that the next time I am in town.

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

I have been trying thrush buster this week. Still got limping goats. I will pick up Kopertox today. Does anyone know if the copper is absorbed through the hoof or does it just stay on the hoof? I have 2 sheep and want to know if anyone has tried it on them. If not, I'll stick with Thrush Buster for them and try the kopertox on the goats. :sigh:

It is supposed to start raining today all the way through the weekend. Did I mention it's HOT! Blah.

Gina

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I'm not sure, but sorry to hear you have sore goats too! The only one limping besides Molly is Boe. He's got some hoof scald that is spreading around the middle of his toes making him sore. The thrush buster has been helping greatly though, but this one little spot needs to have some put on it.

I can't wait to get the Koppertox, especially after all the rain today, and then warm, humid temps on the way...yuck.

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I just thought I'd post that while everyone is doing great, poor little Boe just can't get a break from the scald. So I FINALLY got something similar to Kopertox - same ingredients/amounts - it's Thrush XX. Man, that stuff stinks LOL I put some on his feet, and hope it clears it up.

If we have any more issues I am going to SCREAM....

20. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

It does stink, doesn't it? lol

I got some on a pair of gloves WEEKS ago and they're still a bit oily and smell like Kopertox...I suspect it's a "forever-stink," too. :p