The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to have my twin doelings disbudded by a local veterinarian. They cried while it was being done, of course, but seemed okay again right after. However, they seem unusually inactive this afternoon, and I can’t help worrying a little, as this is my first experience with disbudding.

When I was paying for the procedure, after it was over, I did ask the lady at the register if there was anything I needed to watch out for after getting them home. She just said “they’re usually fine.” Which is great, but if they’re not, what should I be watching for? Is it okay that they seem very tired today? Maybe they’re just worn down from the anxiety of going to a new place and being restrained and then burned?

I sure hope they’re okay.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked about it, but they told me they didn’t need it.

I have Banamine paste left from my horse emergency but I understand you need injectable Banamine for goats. Ugh.

I do have B complex I can give them. Is it oral or subcutaneous for babies? I know I read it somewhere but I can’t remember.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have given b complex sub-q to my kids. I don't think they absorb it really well if you give the injectable form orally.
This is only my second year kidding, so I haven't done a lot of disbudding yet. A few of mine were sort of lethargic after disbudding, but all have been fine by the next day. I always check respirations, eye movement, and coordination, and as long as all those things are normal and they're still eating, I don't worry.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! They are acting like themselves again tonight, perky and bouncing around and climbing on me, so I’m less worried. I will keep a close eye on them but I think they’re going to be just fine.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again to everyone for your input here - I just wanted to pop in and say that they seem to be really healing up well now. Little hairs have started to grow on the tops of their heads and they really look so much better. I’m terrible about remembering to update things like this - sorry about that! But both girls seem just fine now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.