What type of castration do you do? **New Q added pg 1**

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Feb 9, 2010.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    What type of castration do you do? Could you all also give me the pro & cons of Elastrator method & the Burdizzo method?

Thank you!!!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: What type of castration do you do?

i elastrate.. jsut because its easier for me to do on my own. and quick.. the only con is the lenght of time and possibility of infection. but if you check everyone over thenit shouldnt be bad

3. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

I've banded, surgical, and burdizzo. I prefer burdizzo, its quick and not too much pain for real long. Its very easy to do also. I've never had a bad experience with any of them though.

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Elastrator -- cons: you are limited to the time frame when you can use it. Pro: easy to do yourself and not costly

Burdizzo - cons: sometimes you dont crush the cord and you have to wait to find out if he is actually still a HE or is an IT. Sac stays but is shriveled. Pro: can be done by you though the tool is expensive. You can use on full grown bucks.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

That is true about what Stacey said about not crushing the cord properly, but out of quite a few buck kids we've castrated, we've only had two or three that ended up having to be redone on one side. Other than the very few the burdizzo is awesome, its quick, less pain and they're back and jumping around in no time :)

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

We banded our very first boys...is inexpensive and you can do it yourself. I have heard there is a chance for infection-if you get the band close up to the belly this chance would probably be increased. Our two came out fine and are now successfully wethers-I think it's the way to go and doesn't cause them much discomfort, after a few hours they forget it is there!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I've always banded, the 14 bucklings born here as well as those belonging to friends. NEVER had an issue with infection and as long as the area is monitered and sprayed with blu kote or iodine, they do very well with minimal discomfort. The "crimper" or burdizzo is something I thot of using, but at the moment the bands are much more practical to use due to the cost.....and thankfully I've had a minimal number of bucklings.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

I like the burdizzo for the same reasons already stated. I have never had any issues with it. I gladly paid the extra amount of $$ for the tool because banding has always kind of creeped me out.

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA

Burdizzo for sure! MUCH less pain for the goat. Allows you to castrate at an older age which allows the urethra more time to grow and less chance for urinary callculi problems later. No open wounds so no chance for infection. Had a friend who purchased a boer wether who got a nasty infection from the band. She had to pay a lot of vet bills on him over that.
    We have only missed one on one side the past 16 years we have been using this method.
    The other cons is you have to really explain to people when they get the wethers the method you used because we have had several people call after they took their wethers home to say they were not castrated. They truely don't look like they have been for a few weeks. Had one lady call upset to say her neighbor who raised goats took a look at them and confirmed they were intact bucks. I told her to wait 4 weeks and call me back if they didn't shrink up. She called back to say they had and she was sorry. So you need to explain carefully to people what should happen and we always offer to do them again in the chance that it didn't work.

10. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

Oh yes I agree 100% I used the burdizzo on market wethers for kids in 4-H, its less pain, and they took them to weigh in, didn't believe that they were casterated, and now I have to do it on sight at weigh in...what a chore:( I could understand their point, but there is no kid in our county program that would cheat, even parents wouldn't consider it!!

11. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009

I band all mine, never had a problem. The timing is a little tricky. If you use the small bands and pliers, you can't wait too long or you'll be amazed your little guy won't fit through the band. You can't use the big bands on a small billy or it might not seal right.

I use the small bands and small pliers and get them when the gear just slides through the band opening. Seat the band just over the testes but not up against their belly. Easy peasy.

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

We banded our boys between 8 and 10 weeks. They probably could have been done for another month at least...we wanted to get them done before they got bucky!

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas

We band our boys around 3 months of age, I do not like to castrate them to young.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I use the bander
    easy, inexpensive, and has worked for me everytime

15. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

That's for all the advice!! :)

How does banding hurt them? I thought the area goes numb because that blood can't get to the sac.... :whatgoat:

16. Re: What type of castration do you do?

I have always band as have everyone I know. The only issue I have heard is to be sure the teats do not get in with the band. I have had no issues and within an hour no ones seems to care. I have not looked into this though, guess I have something new to look into and learn. Until now I have never heard of it. LOL

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes it numbs the area because it cuts off bloodflow - it can still be painful till the area goes numb.

the crushing of the cords is also painful

everything is painful (even surgical castration) - just choose what method you prefer and go with it .

18. Ok, if it were my nookies I would take the band. The other way seems harsh to me. Then again, they use it on humans. My questions is it would seem if you don't use enough strength you have to go back. Where as the band, some one holds the goat and you pop it on. I will have to learn more but so far I am still with banding.

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The burdizzo will click and lock the thing shut, which you hold shut for 5-7 seconds, so there's no worry about that :)

20. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking...I'm going to price the bander & burdizzo tool...