The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors came and hayed our field and left us about 8 bales. The problem is I don't know what type of hay it is and neither does he, he just uses it for his cattle in the winter so never cared enough to find out. So my question is does anyone know what type of hay this is and can I give it to my goats to eat or will I have to us it for bedding?
Also just wanted to mention that this is the same stuff thats in their pasture.

Sorry for the bad pictures, phone wouldn't focus in on it.
Natural environment Plant Branch Wood Twig
Grass People in nature Grass family Agriculture Terrestrial plant
Twig Grass Wood Plant Soil
Sky Plant community Plant Mountain Slope

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's orchard grass. It makes good hay for goats. Same thing I feed.
That's what my dad was saying but I didn't think it was because it didn't look like our orchard grass hay that we feed our goats. It doesn't have the fluffy tops, isn't as green, and they didn't smell the same, could ours just be older and dryer then what you buy from farm stores?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you put it down for bedding and they eat it...well...
Likewise, if you put it out for feeding and they don't eat it...
If the rest of the goats' diet contains sufficient nutrients, all the hay needs to add is long fiber and cud components.
It looks like mixed grass hay.
Nutrena Feeds used to do hay analysis, or your local extension agent could probably help you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went to my local feed store and it is in fact what we call valley grass its a mixture of fescue, little bit of orchard, rye, and other mixed grasses. The owner said that plenty of people feed it to their animals around here. So I think I'll just use it as bedding because I want to keep them on orchard grass. but if they eat i think it should be fine right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts