What types of feeds do you give your goats...recipes!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by freetorun35, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Hmm...interesting. I think we are going to try it! Sarah...I am going to imagine that your goats like it without mollasses! :roll: :lol:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually we have a few goats that just despise molasses in their food :lol:

Soy is not good for goats, if you want I can PM you an article that explains why. We used to feed soy and our goats had so many health problems when we used it.

3. freetorun35

freetorun35 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    goathappy,

I thought that I had saved your feed recipe, but I can't find it on my computer...so I went back to your blog, and it is coming up blank.... It makes me sad. I don't have the ability to store that much feed at a time, but I figured I would see if I could buy 50lb bags of the grain and mix up a quarter of it at a time.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don't have a lot of room to store feed either, just a few large garbage can (roughneck brand) I can fit one hundred and fifty lbs in each barrel, so about three bags thought its tight when you put that last bag in there. I have rolled oats in one, barley, alfafa pellets and dry cob. I don't use much sunflower seeds so i keep those in a rubbermade container. I can fit one bag at a time but the only get one handful so that works well. the calf manna is the same way, they just get a small handful so its in another rubbermade comtainer. This seems to work well, i havn't had a problem with rodents or anything.
    beth

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    http://sandylanefarm.blogspot.com/ Scroll down to find it, its almost toward the bottom.

If I can find it in my email, I think somewhere I had written down how to mix a small batch of feed, I'll see if I can find it. We also store in garbage cans :)

6. freetorun35

freetorun35 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    I click on your link, and for some reason the page just has your background, without any text...does it work for you? Maybe it is something with my computer...I will check...

7. freetorun35

freetorun35 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    i turned off all my security stuff, as sometimes that will block pages, but it still won't work

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Hmm...that's odd. The link works for me. Do you want me to post the feed recipe?

9. freetorun35

freetorun35 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    It must be just my computer...I will have to keep messing with it...

I would love it if you posted it, or just sent it to me...my e-mail is [email protected]
    Thanks!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just ordered my mix again. what I have mixed is:
    125# Oats
    125# Wheat
    100#Barley
    50# Milo
    50#Boss.

This is a mix I was told to use by a breeder that is VERY successful. Now I have to feed mine a little different because I have the fiber goats. The more Protein they get the more it affects the fiber. Now the breeder told me this recipe but i have added the Boss myself. Where I get it at, I have to order 500# at a time.
    I have never and I will never feed corn to my goats, or Molasses in the grain.

The only time they get molasses is when they have kidded or if I need them to drink like at shows.

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Here ya go Jennifer!

160 lbs of Steam Rolled Barley
    160 lbs of Oats
    10 lbs of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds(BOSS)
    5lbs of Redman Salt(if you free choice salt, then don't add it to the feed)
    1lb of Brewers yeast
    25 lbs of Wheat Bran

12. freetorun35

freetorun35 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    Thanks Jacque...(and Lori, too!)

I will make sure I save both of them, this time!

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sorry about that, I haven't been able to get on for a week :( Thanks for posting that Jacque!! :)

14. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Not a problem! Hey Sarah, thanks for that info on the soy beans! I feel really bad that I forgot to thank you for it. :oops:

We've finally decided what we are doing with our grain. We wanted a bit more protien than Sarah's mix. So this is what we are doing:

100lbs of the 14% feed we were originally feeding
    50lbs steam rolled barely
    50lbs Calf Manna(the goats LOVE it and it is good for them too!)
    25lbs BOSS

This mixture comes to 16%....we are also going to be adding Brewers Yeast, too....we just received it yesterday.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That's ok Jacque, I had forgotten I sent it to you :lol:

That sounds like a great mix, the brewer's yeast will up the protein a little too.