What Vaccines do you give a milk goat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    What vaccines are safe for a milk goat? Is Rabies safe if we are consuming milk? What others are suggested for use?

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    BTW: Does anyone know why the heck an owner can't give rabies shots in the state of Kansas? According to the law a vet has to supervise???

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Rabies vac is the same here...I can buy it and give it but it's not acknowledged in dogs unless given by a vet.
    CD/T is the usual vaccination, I don't think that rabies is a commonly used vaccination.

As far as milk consumption, I vaccinate my does 4 weeks before they freshen and don't normally milk for the first 3 weeks so they have 7 weeks to have it out of their system, so to speak.

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    We can't even buy the vaccine! They won't ship to KS because a vet is supposed to be present by law. It just irritates! I was hopeing to give my own horse vaccines this year, but if a vet has to be present for the rabies then he might as well give the others! In KS only dogs and cats are required to have a rabies, so I understand a vet doing those so it can be proved that they had it. But if livestock is not required to have it then why does a vet need to be present???? GRRR LOL!

So CDT is the only recommended one? No one does a rabies vac?

5. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I don't do any vaccines! :greengrin:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my former vet always tried to get me to give my goats rabies vac but I would kindly tell him nothanks after asking "is it mandatory?" and he would say "no"

2 of mine are vaccinated with CD/T but the rest are not. I keep up the booster on those that do have it otherwise I dont. Everyone has their pasturella vaccine though. Almost lost some goats to pasturella so I know its on my property now and I dont risk it

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    What is pasturella?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pasturella is a form of pneumonia

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I use CD/T on all my goats. I never heard of anyone vaccinating goats for rabies, this is totally new to me.

Jan

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The vaccines commonly used on dairy goats are:

CD&T for enterotoxemia and tetanus

Pasturella for pnemonia caused by that pathogen

Lysigin for mastitis or other infections caused by staph aureus

I, personally, decided not to vaccinate my food producing animals for many reasons. It was not a decision taken lightly and I recommend lots of research for anyone considering this option.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I asked about rabies because I saw on another board that a a person had to put down all of their babies because a rabid skunk got into them and attacked them. Everyone there said to vaccinate the future ones with rabies vac. So I was just curious, I hadn't thought of it until I saw that. We live out in the country and have many coons and skunks. Though our county only had one reported animal with rabies last year (a skunk).

I have already vaccinated with CDT, but am not sure about anything else, just figuring out what everyone else says :shades:

12. goatnanny1

goatnanny1 New Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Hi Milkmaid - don't vaccinate either but I was wondering if you test for CAE? I want to start consuming the milk but would like to know it is safe.

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would test for CAE, CL and Johnes.

Just FYI. This is an old thread so no need to respond to original poster.