The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I give a pneumonia vaccine every year, CD&T a month before expected delivery, and a tetanus antitoxin (not the toxoid) when I band the boys.

I can get the CD&T from TSC.

Here is the pneumonia vaccine I prefer, but there are many others

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/once-pmh-in

I just bought this one from Jeffers for the first time on the advice of a member here. I've not given it yet

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/inforce-3

Respiratory distress has become my nemesis in my particular area, that is why I focus on that more than the CD&T.

Rabies is another one to consider, when your animals are in contact with wildlife, or strays, or are in contact with the public.

Coexin 8-Way covers 8 vaccines in one. That one is made by Merck.

There are people here who give no vaccinations at all, because of conditions where they live.

Because you are newish to this life, I think that the CD&T should probably be considered a baseline, and others should be a response to your needs. I personally, will never be without the pneumonia vaccine again.

If the dam didn't get a CD&T one month out from delivery, then the kid needs it earlier than if it had the immunity from mom.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
A lot of vaccines are going to depend on what issues you run into or what they are at risk for running into. I was always told make sure you give CDT because both tetanus and over eating can kill very fast. Made sense to me since neither you really have enough time to save the animal once they get it and it was always what I recommended to my buyers at first. Now though being blessed once with silent pneumonia i defiantly recommend vaccinating against pneumonia. I remember always hearing about people who had it going threw their herd and felt bad for them but for some reason stupidly thought that maybe it was brought in from a new goat or something. WRONG! We had a crazy fall one year and I would wake up to dead goats. Vaccinated them and so far so good.
But to answer your question on what all I give, as mentioned I give CDT, once PMH IN for pneumonia (if you choose to vaccinate against pneumonia just do digging to see which ones have been used on goats with no ill effects) I also vaccinate for sore mouth. I don’t want to be the person to bless another with sore mouth so all kids are vaccinated. DO NOT vaccinate unless you have it in your herd or you will after you vaccinate. And I vaccinate for CL. I do not test my herd and this way if there is ever a oops and I do end up with a cL abscess bursting then the herd is, to a point, covered. I say to a point because no vaccine is 100% effective. This one I do not really recommend to everyone because it will give a false positive with a blood test.
There is a lot of vaccines out there that one could use, I personally wouldn’t just start vaccinating for everything there is out there just because but more weigh your risks of your herd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts