What was I thinking. - Progress!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow, five minutes home with a bottle baby and I'm already feeling a bit hopeless.

I'm covered with milk and thinking I've already messed up two nipples...which is of course all I bought.

I got two pritchard nipples, cut the first one too big and the second one, just the tip, but the milk comes out way too fast and she doesn't want to nurse from it, I poke it in the corner of her mouth and she takes a bit and then pulls away.

Now I'm wondering if I even needed to cut them at all...

Help please? How do I do this right?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: What was I thinking.

was she on the bottle when you bought her? or is this something you have to teach her?

Yes you have to cut teh tip off -- btu only at tiny bit.

it will flow some when you tip the bottle -- thats normal.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I am talking with Denise on FB...I know I cut the first one too big, cut just the tip on the second one but it goes EVERYWHERE..

I do need to teach her how to use a bottle, but its just getting all over me and her and..

:(

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

totally normal

hence why I refuse to bottle feed goats unless abosolutely necessary -- if Denise is talking to you, go with her advise I am the one who panics with just the though of bottle feeding :GAAH: She is much more level headed

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The 2nd teat was snipped fine, check the "cap" that the teat sits in...there is a small hole with a silver ball that sits in it inside the cap, if that ball is not over the hole, the milk will pour all over the place.

Good luck, hope she does well for you.

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She is laying down now, so we're going to try later but..

The ball appears to be over the hole, and I tried covering it, but the milk just pours out of the little hole in the nipple. Fst...I thought it was supposed to come out slower, or when she nursed on it.

I just don't know.

Some said that a baby's bottle would work better, does anyone use those? I could possibly get one from a neighbor, otherwise I won't be able to get anything different until tomorrow afternoon

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

a human baby bottle will work but you will need to cut an X in the tip because teh tiny pin point is to small for goat kid -- start small with teh X and then make it bigger if you need to

how old is this kid? did seh have any colostrum?

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She was born on the 11th and was with mom until this morning, so I would guess she got colostrum.

I'm feeling more calm now, I did get a bit into her tonight and I imagine when she is hungry again she'll let me know. I tend to get frustrated easily when I'm tired, and I've been up since early early!

We'll manage, especially with all my friends here to give me advice. :hug:

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Oh not fun... I hate when the milk spills everywhere.... LOL I'm the same as you... I don't have the patience. Good Luck!!! I hope she takes to it quickly for your sake!!! :GAAH:

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

When she gets hungry-she will readily take the bottle- we use baby bottles and they work great. It may take a day or 2 to get her used to the bottle since she has been on mom-but after about 5 hours with no milk-she will at least try.You may have to squirt some milk in her mouth with the nipple in her mouth-I just successfully botlle broke a 1 month old boer buckling-it was torture- just keep at it- It will be easy after a day or so :wink:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sometimes skipping a meal or two helps, i know it sounds harsh. But get baby good and hungry when she figure out milk comes from the bottle the usually latch on well.
    beth

12. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

Patience Patience Patience- easier said than done. This is our first bottle feeding this year also and it is a pain. However, when I feel stressed that he isn't getting enough I just syringe some in his mouth. Then I am sure some has gotten in and go back to the bottle. We are using a regular baby bottle and it seems to be working. We just keep offering. Ashley (Phoneix Rising) suggested giving the bum a rub and that really does work with engaging the sucking reflex. good luck- you can do it!

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

This is good to know. I have some bottles in storage from my cousin who bottle fed her daughter. The nipples have X's because she gave her baby cereal in them. I love recycling :D lol

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Okay, I did bad. She cried all night and I couldn't get her to nurse and I was soo worried about her that..

I put Hope on the milkstand and let the baby nurse from her. :oops:

I know it will make her more resistant to the bottle but I just couldn't bear it. :(

Would it be possible to just do this? Every few hours or so during the day? Hope did really well, stuffed her face with some pellets and only kicked a bit. I don't think she would adopt the baby but the baby nursed enough to where she let go of her own accord and started looking around.

I've put the baby outside for now, so she won't turn into one of those bottle babies that doesn't know its a goat. I'll bring her in at night for a bit just in case. But she has America to buddy with and Hope's two babies to play with, so I think she'll be okay during the day.

[​IMG]

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Re: What was I thinking. - Oops I did bad

Oooooh she's a cutie! :love:

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

She is such a sweetie!

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She's screaming her silly little head off right now, but then again, so is America, the doeling I also brought home. Hopefully they'll stop long enough to look around and make friends.

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I've had a "bottle" baby raised by a nigi -- one of my friends had a doe in milk and would put her up on the stand 5 or 6 times a day and he'd nurse -- will that work for you, though?
    I wondered how it was going this morning! :wink:

19. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I think it would work; I am home all day nearly every day, so it's entirely feasible for me to let her nurse from Hope on the stand. Hope knows what the stand is for, so I never have a problem getting her up there and with me holding a leg the baby was able to eat well enough.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if if works for you to do that then go for it! thats what I did for Kitten for 3 months - she nursed off anyone who had milk available :thumb: and since you said Hope has enough milk I would just utilize this knowing you wont be limiting her supply to her boys