What Was I Thinking????????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by groovyoldlady, Feb 21, 2014.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I live in Maine. What was I thinking by breeding my ND to kid in early March????? She's due in 8 days and we have mountains of snow which are beginning to melt and flooding the barn and goat pen. Looks like we may be delivering kids in a canoe. :GAAH:

Last night my girls and I built a platform for inside the barn stall (There's only 1 and it has a dirt - no, make that MUD - floor). This is the first year it's ever flooded inside and the melting has only just begun....

Seriously, I may have to temporarily bring them into the garage.

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Hahaha It's amazing how we suddenly realize we could have planned better! All I can say is ...good luck and hope it goes well.

3. just_plain_bob

just_plain_bob Member

May 4, 2013
    the "good" news is the temps plummet again next week
    :wallbang:

4. Mamaboyd

Mamaboyd Crazy for Fainters

Oct 9, 2013
    Ontario,Canada
    We are flooding here too. Will be pulling on the tall rubber boots soon to go check our goat shelter...after I deal with the leaks in the house.lol.

5. just_plain_bob

just_plain_bob Member

May 4, 2013
    and of course the little bit of melt gets under the barn doors and refreezes over night
    I've been yelling at my barn doors at 6 in the morning

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We just got a bunch of rain over our snow too. Was up all night removing water in our basement under the steps. Luckily the whole basement didn't flood since I stayed on top of it and did water removal every hour.

7. Darlaj

Darlaj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    My goodness I am so sorry to hear all of these struggles! My thoughts are with you all and praying for mild weather for u:)

8. just_plain_bob

just_plain_bob Member

May 4, 2013
    ha ha thanks
    give me a few months, I'll be complaining about the horse flies

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    That's how it was my first year of goats. It was notable. I had moms and kids stashed out in horse trailers kids in the house that I would take out to moms to nurse then back in. Word of advise stock up on straw or wood shavings while you can. I remember everyone was out and I had to break down and use hay as straw......you always gotta look on the brute side. Its only one and shes small maybe no one would notice if you moved her in the house lol :p

10. Mamaboyd

Mamaboyd Crazy for Fainters

Oct 9, 2013
    Ontario,Canada
    Our goat shelter is dry...so far. Our driveway is a mess..pure ice and its on a hill lol. Thank goodness the water runs away from the house on that side . Now it is suppose to get colder and freeze over. You know its bad when school buses are cancelled. We hardly ever have our buses cancelled up here hehe.

11. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Are you familiar with the saying "Life is what happens while you're making other plans"? I find that saying to be very accurate more often than not. Hang in there, this too shall pass and I sincerely hope everything works out for you and your girls!

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

Silly, you forgot about what New England refer to as our 5th season - other get Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall, But we get Mud Season, too! l) Good luck, at least our temps are supposed to go back to below freezing before she's due, and you're north of me, so hopefully everything will be either frozen or dried out by then!

13. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    Where abouts in central Maine are you?

I've raised goats in Maine (both northern and central Maine) for 29 years or so. I always bred them to kid out in late January, Feb and March. I never had a problem with the cold being an issue. I just make sure the kids are dry and have a full belly to their retain their body heat. I put a dog crate or dogloo in the stall stuffed with shavings and straw so the kids can all go in there and snuggle down and stay out of the way of the adults. Thats if I dam raise. If I pull at birth and bottle feed, they go in a small pen with the crate. I've never had to use coats or heat lamps or anything like that.

However! With the rain and melting we have had the past couple of days (not that I am complaining about the warm temps, mind you!!!!) the 4 doors that go into various chicken pens were frozen this morning and I had to jerk, swear and tug to get them open. I slid all over the dog pen when the 4 large, happy, playful and hungry 100 pound pups started jumping all over me.

The goat barn/horse stable so far has not been bothered by the rain or melting. That will happen when it gets a bit warmer. I just hope that the flooding will wait until the kids are born in 2 weeks.
    The worst thing is when I got home Friday night~my kitchen was flooded! I have an addition someone added to my house many eyars before I bought it and did a horrid job. Water from rain and snow melt off was pouring thru the wall where it meets the sill on this odd overhang thing that was supposed to be part of the back porch. What a freakin mess! Thank goodness that stopped last night when the rain ceased. My basement is getting full of water too. I need to rebuild that entire area this summer, as it is all rotten. grrrrrrr......

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  14. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hey Lottsagoats,

I am in Fairfield (Waterville area). Everything is frozen solid again. She's showing some signs of early labor now and I'm hoping and praying she goes SOOn before the temps plummet to single digits again tonight.

15. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    You're about 20 minutes north of me! Did she pop yet? I am dreading those frigid temps that are coming in tonight. Ug. I am soooooo sick of winter.

I have several does due starting with the 13th as their due date. I am hoping the weather starts warming up by then, but not too warm or my barn will flood!!!!!! I need some sort of happy medium, warm for the kids but cool enough so the mountains of snow melt slowly! hehehe Too much to ask, I know.