What was wrong with my baby :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HaleyD, Sep 12, 2012.

1. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    I lost my 6 week old baby Pygmy boy (bottle baby) this morning, Bucee (named after a popular truck stop chain here in TX), and I wanted to know if anyone on here has experienced anything similar since the cause of his death still remains a mystery.

Last Thursday I got home around 1pm and let him outside (he was staying in a dog pen in the house most of the time since the other goats didn't really like him and he was so small). He was probably outside for 15minutes before I brought him back in when I noticed that he was having trouble balancing and that he looked bloated. I put him in the truck and went to our local vet right away where they used a tube to let some of the gas off of his rumen and even used a needle in his side to help relieve some of the pressure. After that they gave him some mineral oil and an antibiotic shot and sent him home and told me he would be fine.

After having him home for no more than 10 minutes, I knew something wasn't right. He seemed to be doing worse than he was before I took him to the vet and was very weak. He was just laying there limp and not wanting to do anything so I called the vet back, but of course they had just closed. After that I kept my eye on him, then decided it would be worth the drive to take him to the Texas A&M Large Animal Hospital (one of the top vet schools in the country) because he was not doing well and they are only about an hour and a half away (thank god)

When we got there they listened to his gut sounds and passed a tube to let some of the gas off again and got a sample of his rumen content. In that sample we found out that all the "good bacteria" in his rumen had died to to it being too acidic. To correct this they transferred rumen content from a donor cow into him and kept him over night.

The next day (Friday) when I went to pick him up they said they hadn't had much luck getting him to take the bottle, but they said it was most likely stress and that I should be able to get him to take it at home with no problem and that if he wasn't nursing vigorously by Monday to give them a call back.

Over the weekend he would act hungry and normal at the start of every feeding but then he would only drink 1/4 cup of milk (when he should have been drinking 2 cups) per feeding then loose complete interest and start to act lethargic.

On Monday morning he did the exact same thing so I did as they told me to and called back. They didn't seem too concerned and just said that maybe I should just wean him and start him on regular feed and hay. I tried to offer him some pellets and hay with little interest. He would nibble at the pellets but wouldn't really eat them so I continued to offer him the milk.

Tuesday night around 10pm I noticed he was standing stretched out again and seemed uncomfortable. He seemed bloated again, but this time it was more the underside of his belly that felt bloated, not the sides like it had been before. I called A&M back and decided that it would be best to bring him on in.

We got there around midnight and they did a physical on him and said that this time the bloating felt more like fluid then gas. They said they were going to keep him overnight to observe him, then do an ultrasound and blood tests in the morning and give me a call.

I got a call early this morning from them saying that around 6am he had started doing very poorly. His temperature had dropped and he had begun to have a seizure then suddenly died They are going to do some more test to see if they can determine a exact cause but they said some possibilities are that he could of had an infection in his GI tract that his body just couldn't handle, he could have had something wrong with his liver, or he could have had a tear in his bladder causing it to leak.

I just don't understand why my baby died so suddenly, and why they wanted to wait until morning to work on him when I brought him in as an emergency

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to make sure I included all the information I could. Have any of you experienced anything like this with a baby before? I just feel so terrible that he died

2. so sorry for your loss.
    whaT was he being fed?
    was he eaTing hay well?
    whaT sorT of milk or replacer was he on?
    had he had any cdT shoTs?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry.:(

That is bizarre, but I agree, Logan has good questions there. ;)

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, no... it sounds like you did everything you could to help him. I am sorry for you!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! Hopefully they will have some answers for you.

6. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    He was being fed Dumor milk replacer 1 1/2 cups twice a day and was eating just fine until the first vet visit last Thursday.

He always had access to hay, but hadn't really seemed to ever show an entrance in it

No he had not had a cdt shot

Thanks you for the condolences everyone, it's been a very tough day :blue:

7. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    After reading about the cdt shot and enteroxemia, I'm begging to wonder if that's what he had?

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I would agree that it was enterotoximia. I am also amazed that no one (vets) considered the possibility and gave an anti-toxin on the off chance.
    I'm so sorry you lost your baby, I do know what that feels like :wallbang:
    You did your best and thats all anyone can do:grouphug:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry you lost your kid - it sounds very much what I went through with two bottle kids and it was because they werent tolerating the formula. I lost one in similar circumstances, and the other was very sickly but with meds and changing to normal cows milk from the supermarket she pulled through

10. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thanks again everyone, I've never lost a baby before and it's been very hard :(

After reading about enterotoxemia I'm also shocked that the vets didn't even consider it. When they call me back I am going to ask them about that.

If that's the case and that's what he had, I'm glad I've learned about it now. It's awful that I had to loose him but at least he will help me take the proper precautions with future goats.

On a side note, is it really better to feed the regular cows milk from the grocery store? I had read something about that in the past but never knew much about it

11. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    I just got off the phones with the vet and it was not enterotoxemia.

He had an ulcer in his abomasum (4th compartment) that ruptured causing his body to go septic and then causing death. They said that there would have been nothing they could have done to help him because it would not have shown up on an ultrasound until it had already ruptured, and once that has happened it's already too late. They said he passed away 6 minutes after his temp had dropped so that is most likely when it happened. I feel a lot better now that I have an answer and that I know both me and the vets did everything we could.

They said it is also common in horses, but there are preventative medications you can give them. The preventative medications don't work in ruminants because of their complex digestive systems.

12. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    I'm really glad you got an answer about what killed your baby. It sounds like there was nothing anybody could have done.
    Keep your chin up. I know it hurts really bad to have lost him, but you have learned a lot. From what little I know of you I think any goat would be lucky to have you as his momma :).

13. Momma2many

Momma2many New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    North Idaho
    I am so glad that you got answers, but so sorry for your loss.

14. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas