The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wormed one of our goats last week as her eyelids were looking pale. Noticed she was acting a bit sluggish this week, checked her FAMACHA and it’s even worse. So I’m assuming our wormer either doesn’t work anymore, or she’s grown ‘immune’ to its help.

We live in Canada so I’m not sure what we can get here. Right now we’re using SafeGuard suspension 10%, it’s an oral dose. Our Vet gave it to us.

Any recommendations are great. I’ve heard Iveremectin or the off brand is good to use, but the one I see is labeled for swine and cattle only.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
I've only ever used herbal dewormers and love them!! Especially since worms can NOT build up a resistance too them like they can to chemical dewormers. I've heard SafeGuard isn't the best either. I'm currently using Molly's herbs and really like them, but I have heard that Land of Havilah is better so will be switcher over to them after I finish up the rest of Molly's. Not sure if you can get either one in Canada, but if you can, I would highly recommend trying them out!!

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Ivomec is a good broad base dewormer. It is for cattle but like much of what we use on goats..is off label. When using the injectable ivomec, inject sub q if goat is anemic, 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q and oral for booster in 10 days orally, 1 cc per 33# .
Do not get pour on's as they do not work for internal parasites.
Here in the states safeguard no longer works for many of us. A fecal would be a good idea to ID what parasites you may be dealing with.
Also sounds like she may need anemia support of
*iron, like red cell or injectable pig iron, (let us know what you have and we can help with dose.
*b 12 or b complex injectable
*quality high protien feed, browse food and alfalfa.
I also give 30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv and water once a day.
*Daily

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ivomec is a good broad base dewormer. It is for cattle but like much of what we use on goats..is off label. When using the injectable ivomec, inject sub q if goat is anemic, 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q and oral for booster in 10 days orally, 1 cc per 33# .
Do not get pour on's as they do not work for internal parasites.
Here in the states safeguard no longer works for many of us. A fecal would be a good idea to ID what parasites you may be dealing with.
Also sounds like she may need anemia support of
*iron, like red cell or injectable pig iron, (let us know what you have and we can help with dose.
*b 12 or b complex injectable
*quality high protien feed, browse food and alfalfa.
I also give 30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv and water once a day.
*Daily
There’s this, do you know if it’s safe to use?
Bottle Liquid Fluid Ingredient Drink

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
I agree..its fine

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
Do know, anemia takes a while to return to normal. Worming alone doesn’t fix it.
The goat will also need an iron supplement, such as red cell a horse product given orally, 6 cc’s per 100 lbs, once a day for one week, then 1 x a week until border line safe.
If at anytime the color goes to famancha borderline color, stop then and there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do know, anemia takes a while to return to normal. Worming alone doesn’t fix it.
The goat will also need an iron supplement, such as red cell a horse product given orally, 6 cc’s per 100 lbs, once a day for one week, then 1 x a week until border line safe.
If at anytime the color goes to famancha borderline color, stop then and there.
Am I able to worm twice since the first wormer didnt work? I don’t want to over do it, but she needs to be wormed. She wasn’t that bad when we first wormed, just slightly pink. Obviously it’s gotten worse since.

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Yes, you can do ivomec now and again in 10 days, and again 10 days later. It won't hurt her after safeguard since that is a pretty gentle dewormer.
Be sure to do anemia care

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
I use Blue Ivermectin pour on . My goats have very low worm loads. I fecal anyone looking bad. I usually deworm 2xs a year. You adjust the topical to 3xs the weight of the goat. Pour it from the top of the shoulders to the tail head
It also kills lice & mites. You can read on the pamphlet all the species of worms it kills. I find it very effective.

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
. I find it very effective.
Very interesting. I have never found pour on to be effective on internal parasites in goats. You are the first person I ever heard that found it effective?
I would still recommend injectable or a horse paste over pour on for internal parasites. Especially in one so heavy burdened.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
Well mine have gone from 2k of brown stomach.worms to 20 in more than one fecal sample. The only time I use Safeguard or Quest+ is if Im fighting Barber pole worms. Ihave never used injectable dewormer. Only inject CDT, and Antibiotics.I believe @AndersonRanch uses pour on also with great success.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You are correct I do use it and have for years with very good results, I know a lot of people though have heard it doesn’t work or it has not worked for them so opening that can of worms I usually hit a brick wall. But my theory on it is people are not dosing correctly. Most of the time people are using the cattle dose even though many cattle wormers we use for goats we have to adjust the dosage, but for some reason when it comes to pour on most dont. I also see constantly, people who have external parasites and they don’t even come close to the cattle dose when treating those. It’s still a wormer and it’s still going into their system and there is probably a great deal of resistance because of the incorrect dose. It’s no different then anything else if we are under dosing it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You are correct I do use it and have for years with very good results, I know a lot of people though have heard it doesn’t work or it has not worked for them so opening that can of worms I usually hit a brick wall. But my theory on it is people are not dosing correctly. Most of the time people are using the cattle dose even though many cattle wormers we use for goats we have to adjust the dosage, but for some reason when it comes to pour on most dont. I also see constantly, people who have external parasites and they don’t even come close to the cattle dose when treating those. It’s still a wormer and it’s still going into their system and there is probably a great deal of resistance because of the incorrect dose. It’s no different then anything else if we are under dosing it.
What is the correct dosage?

Reactions: Jessica84

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Goats metabolism is so fast..much faster than a cow that by the time pour on absorbs not much is left so I can see higher doses are needed to be effective, how ever it's still something I will caution. Im not saying it's not working for You both, just people need to be aware that Unless you fecal after( which is good practice no matter what dewormer we use) to make sure its effective they could be under a false security it's working for them and building a possible resistance. It's still warned on a few worming site not to use pour on in goats. I can post those links..but just want folks to take do diligence when deworming. We are already in such a dewormer crisis. What works or doesn't work for one, may have opposite effect for others. I appreciate you both sharing your experiences ❤

·
Super Moderator
14,578 Posts
So I’m not confusing anyone here I was able to get my original account back, I am also Anderson ranch ;)
Happybleats I absolutely agree that a fecal should be ran after! It’s my theory that under dosing is the issue but that doesn’t mean that I am correct. Some people honestly might not have good luck with it! Same as corid works for some but not for others. I actually bought a microscope and learned to do my own fecals after being told that basically it wasn’t doing much other then killing enough worms to keep the goats alive, but have not found that to be the case……for me.
21goaties I times 3 on the cattle dose. For easier math though you can just times 3 on the goats weight too. I’m a major cheater and have a application. If say I have a 100 pound goat I set it to 300 pounds (hopefully that made sense)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts