What worms are this

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by detnol, Oct 11, 2011.

1. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi!
    We have a small herd of Lacaune and Friesian (sheep) and a few local goats. (I know his is a goat forum but sheep are very similar and I already got good advice on this forum before)
    We practice rotational or strip grazing, we move the herd over our field (electric netting), they get a fresh plot EVERY day and don't return on the same field for months - in between the fields are used to make hay.
    So we should not have worms! At least according to my theory.... The two 'problems' are that we introduced a new ram (dewormed on the day of arrival) and we have a lot of wildlife including deer on our fields.

However I found worms in the droppings of our goat/sheep yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Does anybody recognize the type of worms from this not too clear picture? And does anybody have a clue how my animals got worms?
    I dewormed the herd today with Helmigal (containing Fenbendazolum), this only for the second time this year so resistance should not (yet) be a problem. Animals are looking fine by the way. This are some of the sheep, 7 - 8 months old now and not looking very 'infected' :
    [​IMG]
    All comments, thoughts etc. are welcome. We live rather isolated in a country where sheep are only kept in a very extensive way and not how we keep and care for them. Thanks.

2. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi
    To me they look like tapeworm sacs..

3. Tapeworm.
    It can be carried by any mammal including humans.
    Takes a different drug dewormer than generally used. You will need to use Praziquantel.
    All wormers should be used at least 2 times 7-10 days apart to kill off newly hatched eggs that the first round did not kill. I do 3 rounds.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The Fenbenzadol that was used should have gotten them. They are easy to get rid of. Tapeworms should pretty much be a non issue in adult stock, The adult animals should have built immunity that keeps them under control.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...tapes ...

When you worm for tapes...especially when you see segments like that .. in their stool....they have to be treated... 3 x ...10 days apart...

If at all in doubt get a fecal.... :greengrin:

6. goathiker

What you see in the stool is the egg pouch. Tapeworms don't have an internal lifecycle like other worms. You can't really predict when they might eat an egg pouch and start more hatching. They are very delicate though, drying or too hot or cold, if things aren't perfect those egg pouches won't live. Dragging your pasture regularly will kill off most of them.

If those are shaped like a grain of rice they are tapes. If they are tiny curled up worms they are probably pins.

7. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks!
    What worries me that we change pasture very often and dont return for months and fields get mowed but the certainly got these tape worms from deer or bores or dogs...... and even if tape worms aren't such a problem it makes me worried what else they have gotten (like internal parasites) form all the wild animals roaming on our field. Friesians are known to be more fragile an susceptible to worm infection so what will happen with our lambs next year...... all our ewes are sired by a beautiful Friesian ram.

8. goathiker

Since you know that you have a problem with them you could always go on prevention.
    Close to lambing, worm all the ewes for tapes. The proper way to do it is with a fenbenzadal product, such as safeguard, Three times in a row 24 hours apart. Then you move the ewes to a clean pasture for lambing about 24 hours after the last wormer dose. This way you know the ewes are as clean as you can get them and will be shedding minimal eggs to their lambs. When the lambs are born you would do safeguard at 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 weeks of age. Only one day though, one dose. This will kill off most of the worms leaving a couple to help build their immunity. With my goats I also do Cocci prevention at these times to increase gain and adult health. Trying to time each pasture move for when the bulk of the lambs have been wormed will help too. By doing this for a few years you truely will break the cycle.
    Oh, and Safeguard will also kill all four major worm groups in dogs including tapes. Your vet didn't want you to know this, he wants that $60.00 for his tapeworm pill. I'd have to look up the dosage for you this evening. Gotta go finish my new chicken house right now.