The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be better to get two doelings that were born in April, or get two does that are 2-3 years old, have kidded in the past, but have never been milked?

We want milk goats for our family's use, but we've never milked before, so I am not sure what would be better. What do you think?

·
2,180 Posts
Would it be better to get two doelings that were born in April, or get two does that are 2-3 years old, have kidded in the past, but have never been milked?

We want milk goats for our family's use, but we've never milked before, so I am not sure what would be better. What do you think?
If you get the younger ones, you have more time and flexibility to adjust their digestive systems. You have a prolonged period of time to introduce them to whatever you need them to be. Personalities can be molded and influenced at this stage as well. You can also pet their "udders" and get them desensitized to brushes, rags, and hands. Run them on the stand and get them used to the practice.

Bad thing about young jr does are you just don't know what they're gonna udder up to be or what they'll produce.

Not saying seasoned does are bad. That's not my intention at all. They're great. You can see their seasoned udder, get a grip of their personality, you have to really work with them for your routine, start slow when you switch to your feeding regiment. They may or may not let down for you initially.

I've done both. I prefer young ones over older does myself. Seems like a smoother transition.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
yes, i agree with Karen. it all depends on how friendly the older does are. you said they've never been milked before, so there will likely be time spent training them into milking, but i if they're already in milk, then you won't have to wait long to get milk for your family...just the time it takes for them to be trained.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How friendly are the older does?
I have only seen pictures at this point. We were going to meet at a central point bc we live aways from each other.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
we've done both. we've gotten acouple of great older does that were great but a couple that we just gave up on after months of trying (we just let them produce fabulous kids that are used to our ways) personally i would go for the younger ones, but certainly check out their mothers. and fathers too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the price is right, I think we'll get two doelings. I don't want to get the older does home and find out they really aren't friendly, or something. Like the pp said, with a doeling, I can mold them more.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Does are always friendly for grain :D
I have done both, a LOT over the years. I prefer senior does to junior does. Just because it's less time I spend growing them up, kidding them, waiting to see how the udder will be, and everything. So I prefer the senior does, I do not have a problem with feed transitions, or getting them to be friendly.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Just starting out I decided that I wanted two older does. I felt like it was a good choice, because I wouldn't be waiting for the kids to grow up as much. I actually lucked into finding someone who had a doe and a kid so I kind of got the best of both worlds.

If the does are friendly I would definitely go for it! I have learned so much with my older doe, and It's been awesome to be already getting milk. On the other side though kids are super fun and you get to build up a relationship with them before they grow up. I've loved that I've been able to teach my 6 mo old certain things her mom lacks like her mom is a pain for trimmings but her daughter has learned and become an angel. I think it's a matter of preference though. Either way goats are awesome and fun :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I also started with two older does... though they were very used to being milked, and were in milk at the time. My whole reason for getting goats was for milk... so finding two IN milk was wonderful.

I'm retaining a doeling this year, so now I get to experience "teaching" one to milk. We'll see how that goes! :)

But I have NO regrets over buying two adult does (one was a FF, the other a senior doe). If they aren't friendly... that might be more of a problem. I think ANY doe (or most does at least) will be a little shy at first, with a new human and new home... but mine came around very quickly when they realized I was the holder of the grain. :D

·
Super Moderator
59,602 Posts
I have bought both. But the adult doe was already being milked and already friendly. So if the older does are very friendly, that may be a quicker way to milk. But then again, babies or young ones are sure fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts