What would cause frothy mouth and gagging?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, May 18, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I received an email from a friend the other night saying this...

I freaked the other day cuz Niobe's nose
    was all shiny like it was coated in snot...so I isolated her and watched her
    because she was also frothy at the mouth and gagging on something. You
    know what I figured I think happened....I cleaned off her nose and have been
    watching her for a few days and she has been fine. I think she ate a slug!
    That is exactly what the stuff on her looked like..

My friend called today to say that her doe is still coughing and spitting up the frothy slimy stuff. She shakes her head from side to side like she's trying to cough up a luigi(sp?), it's always white, never green. She said she's acting fine other than that. Eating, drinking, pooping and peeing is all good. She hasn't taken her temp. The goats don't have access to anything poisonous. She's been treating them for lungworms. :help:

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My guess is she has something stuck in her throat...I think something similar happened with "Joe Dirt", hopefully someone will come on soon with more experience. Can she take this goat to a vet? I certainly would get her to a vet soon!

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Yep, sounds like something stuck in her throat.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Di and K-Ro, she has something stuck in her throat. If she can get a finger back in there without getting sliced on the molars, she may be able to dislodge it, otherwise a vets help would be neccessary.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I don't know how she'd get her fingers back to her throat. I'll let her know what you guys said. I'll highly suggest that she take her to the vet. Especially if she's still gagging today.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Same thing happened yesterday with Rosie's doeling, Rita. I think she was choking on a pellet (alfalfa). She freaked me out but got it out on her own. I was able to pry open her and mouth and see but she's a young kid. . .

Hope she is doing better today.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My friend was thinking maybe it was frothy bloat but it's been a few days since her does been doing this. She said her goat is feeling good she's just coughing up the slimy stuff.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The frothy stuff is excess saliva that is manufactured in an attempt to dislodge the obstruction, (IMO), she's not going to get better unless somebody helps her, if it was bloat she'd have other symptoms (the bloat).

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she is unsure ....how to go about it .....I recommend taking her goat to the vet......that way ...a vet can help her goat........If there is something stuck ...and left to long ....it may suffocate the goat.............also .....when the goat tries to eat more..... it will build up and smother ...... :hug:

11. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My thoughts exactly :pray:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    bheila...... :hug: :pray:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree thata vet should be seen. It may be a non edible object lodged in her throat.
    beth

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wondering how this doe is doing.

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :( Maddie did the exact same thing for almost two weeks before she died, and on post mortem it was revealed she had a piece of bale twine stuck in her rumen.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    bheila......how is she? :worried: :hug:

Keren....that must of been very scary.... :( :hug:

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I had no idea what was causing it ... I hope bheila's doe is a different cause ... :hug:

18. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My friends doe stopped gagging the day after I posted this. Unfortunately we don't know what really caused her to do it but she was one of the does that turned out to have CL :(

19. DasReich

DasReich New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Coughing and gaggng goats

Here in TN they have a plant the locals call "sneeze weed". Our first experience with it occurred when one of our young goats ate some. She started coughing and when she sneezed a glob of snot about the size of a softball came out of her mouth and nose. We called the vet, he gave her a shot, probably benedryl or something but since then, that has not caused the problem with any others. Vet said it was benign

20. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Had this happen to one of my goats...vet talked me through it on the phone. Feel along neck to see if you can feel any obstruction. Get a large drenching syringe and mix 1/2 water and 1/2 mineral oil...then drench the goat with that to dislodge and flush the obstruction. Don't drench too quickly, just enough pressure to move the obstruction. You may have to do it 3 or 4 times. Have someone keep a hand on the goat's throat while you do this to see if it is swallowing the liquid..you will probably feel one large gulp..like clearing stuck plumbing..and the obstruction will go down.

Follow up with probios, as the obstruction may have interferred with normal rumen function.