What would you charge...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Someone to cut their goat's hooves? I have noticed that there has been people asking to cut their goat's hooves. I'm thinking of offering this service to make a little extra money, but want to know if it's worth it. I would of course get a new set of trimmers, and have to sanitize them in the dishwasher after use.

Do you think this would be too risky by possibly bringing home cooties? Or do you think this might be a viable little side-veture?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Use a set for your goats and one for the trimming of others. Dont use the dishwasher to sanitize them use a bleach solution. And as for the charge $10-$15

10 for a basic trim and 15 for a show prep where you use a shaper and files as well as the clippers. At least thats what I do :shrug:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I see about $10 for each goat, multiple goat discount. I would charge more for wild/very uncooperative goats. I've thought of offering this but people around here want you to travel to them, I just don't have the time for that. . .

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Personally I have charged $5.00 for just standard cuts and then 0.50 per mile each mile to get there. If it is a nasty mean goat then up to $10.00 and boys start at $10.00 and go to $15.00

I then also offer vaccines, worming, blood draws and other things - check out my website and go to Services and you can see what I have done.

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks Kelebek. You have Blackbellies too? So do I! I have no ram though. Mine had to be put down. Man was he beautiful. He was a chocolate one. He gave me one chocolate ewe before he passed, but I had to sell her because we were over our animal limit regulations where we were. :(

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I would say $10. but i'd make sure everything was sanitary- even if it means using a different trimmer for your own goats.

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Those prices sound realistic, but I would like to add a few suggestions to make sure you don't bring home an illness or disease to your own critters:

1. Always wear protective covering over your boots & discard before returning to your own property. here's an example:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... 2D1V5A1NB1

2. Change all of your clothing immediately when you return home & put it straight in the washer. Wash your hands, etc.

3. I would also recommend keeping extra hoof trimmers and hoof picks on hand to sell (mark it up from what they cost you so you can make it worth your while). Once people see how easy it is, they might want some of their own.

The thing I am most terrified of is making my goaties sick because of somewhere I've been. good luck to you

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I do a lot of services for other people. I have a pair os shoes that are not worn around my animals, before i leave i have a pan of bleach water set where i park my car, so that when i return i can step in it or i take a spray bottle of bleach water with me and spray my shows with it. I change and wach my clothes immidiatly when i get home. I do wear a pair of gloves that are not worn around my goats.
    As for charges, i charge $5 for hooves, $10 for clipping, $5 for disbudding.
    beth