The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, friends. I have a miniature lamancha who's about a week fresh. I noticed the babies had a favorite side, so I decided to even her out. This favorite side has a bump up near the top of the udder, towards the medial. It's large and fleshy. I reached out to my vet and unfortunately they don't test for mastitis.

I CMT tested her - negative. I've massaged it with a little peppermint EO mixed with coconut oil, and I'm giving her daily chewable vitamin Cs. There's no heat or redness. The milk looks and tastes great. Her temp was 102 one night and 101 the other night. Her appetite is vigorous.

She's my only mini mancha, so I don't have another "big goat" to compare udders with. Since she's such a heavy producer, I'm wondering if it's normal to feel a lymph node there, or if I'm wishful thinking. Would you guys assume it's mastitis? Should I ask the vet for antibiotics?

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did start milking her twice a day as soon as I noticed the bump. She's making more than what her kids can drink, but I don't milk her completely out since I want to save enough for the growing boys still.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Not wanting to alarm you but, I had a FF Nubian freshen this year with a lump like that. She was milked totally out twice a day, as I pull the kids. In less than 2 weeks she developed black bag mastitis, even though she had tested negative for mastitis the 2 times I tested her. So, just keep a close watch on her. It may just be a blocked milk gland or something simple like that, but forewarned is forearmed.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Can you get a picture of the lump? There is a LN center medial where the udder and body meet.

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not wanting to alarm you but, I had a FF Nubian freshen this year with a lump like that. She was milked totally out twice a day, as I pull the kids. In less than 2 weeks she developed black bag mastitis, even though she had tested negative for mastitis the 2 times I tested her. So, just keep a close watch on her. It may just be a blocked milk gland or something simple like that, but forewarned is forearmed.
I appreciate the warning! I reached out to a company that tests milk. Hopefully they'll email me back and I can send her milk off for a more thorough testing. Right now she's getting vitamin C and gentle massages as I watch her like a hawk. If it starts to change, I'll hit her with antibiotics asap.

Can you get a picture of the lump? There is a LN center medial where the udder and body meet.
The lump wouldn't show up in a picture, unfortunately. The first time I noticed it I could see a bit of a bump under the skin, but now looking at her you can't see it. I originally thought it was off to the side, but after milking her out more thoroughly I think it's almost right smack in the middle of the udder, up high. Maybe a bit smaller than an orange, and not perfectly round; it's "thinner" than an orange. It feels porous, for lack of a better term. Similar to actual udder tissue.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
The LN is located where I circled on my doe, Its sort of egg shaped..you cant see it in this pic..I had a pic saved somewhere that shows one but I cant find it. Any way..this gives an idea of where its located : )

Attachments

Reactions: ThreeHavens

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
One of my goats, who has more of a meaty udder, anyway, gets all sorts of lumps in her udder when she first freshens. Really, they all do that...I assume it is the milk ducts and mammary tissues gearing up for production...but it is especially noticeable with her. I just keep milking and massaging daily, and it eventually subsides, although I can always feel hard lumps of tissue in her udder when I massage it.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I'm betting it's her LN. Would just keep watch for changes. 😉

Reactions: ThreeHavens

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of my goats, who has more of a meaty udder, anyway, gets all sorts of lumps in her udder when she first freshens. Really, they all do that...I assume it is the milk ducts and mammary tissues gearing up for production...but it is especially noticeable with her. I just keep milking and massaging daily, and it eventually subsides, although I can always feel hard lumps of tissue in her udder when I massage it.
This is really good to know! Since I don't have a lot of milkers right now, and she's my only somewhat "big" girl, it's hard for me to compare her to the others.

I'm betting it's her LN. Would just keep watch for changes. 😉
This is my hope ;) For now I've decided to just keep milking her twice a day and monitor her behavior and udder closely. She's getting her Cs and garlic, as well as massages. I did get a picture of her udder today after milking her out. Visually I feel like it looks okay so far. (She does have one teat bigger than the other, that's normal for her.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts