What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 16, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Okay so you know I have four dairy does (3 saanens, 1 british alpine) and I really want to breed british alpines. But, there are no bucks around here to take them to for a stud service, finances really didnt allow me to buy a BA buck this year, so I just joined them to my Boer buck like two weeks ago (actually Maddie went to the angora cos the boer was too short and couldnt reach properly lol)

Anyway, a buck has just come up. Reg BA at a very good price - that I can actually afford. I am wondering what your thoughts are of buying him - and aborting my four dairy does now so that I can join them to him and get registered kids this year. I cant justify getting him and not using him this year, thats a whole years worth of feed before he does anything. What do you think of the idea of aborting the does? Or should I just pass him up and try to look for a buck next year?
  2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

how fr along are they? Im trying t think of what time of year it is over there. I would just leave them be. I know its a whole year, but maybe you could use the sales of the kids to get a couple more BA does to breed to him later in the year. Inducing abortions can be really hard physically and mentally on a doe.

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    At two weeks along the embryos would not be far along. Aborting now shouldn't cause any problems.
  4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    beth - breeding season is now, they are between 1 and 2 weeks since joining.

to put it into an economic perspective:

6 saanen x boer kids (assuming twins each here as that is what I average) - $80 for doe kids, $40 for wether kids
    2 BA x angora kids - $20 for wether kids, $50 for doe kids if I'm lucky

6 saanen x BA kids - will either be app.D reg'd saanen or BA depending on what colour they come out - $300 for doe kids, $30 for wether kids
    2 BA pure kids - will be reg. purebred $500 for doe kids, $30 for wethers, this doe MIGHT produce a buck worth keeping intact, they will sell for around $300

You can see why its tempting.

Then again knowing my luck I'd get 8 buck kids
  5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Here's the boy:

The lady just emailed me back. He's got VERY good bloodlines behind him. Not exactly a great pic but all she has.

He's an 06 drop so that puts him about two n a half.

I'm seriously thinking about this. I figure at this stage a shot of PG is just gonna make them cycle normally. I've done it before on little does that were oops bred.

The lady was very helpful and very friendly, she said to me SaanenxBA can sometimes give a steely grey kid that is very striking and her personal favourite.

Hmmm ... requires some thought ... :scratch:
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    One to 2 weeks preggo....then I would get the buck opportunity and abort them...boy that sure sounds horrible doesn't it.... :scratch: ...some may not even be preggo....who knows? Anyway keren ......it is totally up to you ....... :wink:
  7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW abort just because you found a better buck? I would never do that. I do abort when it is a accidental bred, like to old, hard pregnancy, o young, not just because I liked a different buck.

The lute should be give 7-10 days max.
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    pray the breedings didnt take :wink:
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
  10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I personally wouldn't do it. . . sounds so sad and harsh but they are your does and your decision. I will hope they didn't settle.
  11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I wouldn't do it either... I would just hope that the breedings didn't take. You could ask the woman to wait a week or two to see if your does cycle again? Inducing them to abort simply because there's a different buck, wouldn't be something that I personally could/would do.

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I would do it. With the economy the way it is...you would sell your dairy cross kids easier(and for more $$$) then your dairy/boer and dairy/angora kids. Last fall we had a buck with really long pasterns..and everyday the more I looked at them..the more I knew I didn't want that in my herd. So a couple does we had bred to him were given lute after 10 days and were bred to another buck. Why waste a kid crop when you know you can have nicer kids? I'm sorry...it doesn't sound very nice, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You know?
  13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You know, I have to go with the economics at this stage, but hurry, hurry, hurry. Then we can pretend it never happened. He's a good looking boy, did you get any pics of his dams udder?
  14. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    IMO, At that stage in pregnancy--if they even are--I would probably abort them and breed to the better buck. As cold-hearted as it may sound, these goats are livestock...they have to earn their keep. If they kidded with boerX kids, the sale of those kids probably won't even cover expenses. Even if you only got a couple does out of the breeding with the BA buck, you'd still be father ahead than if you just let them be...
  15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So Keren, can I ask what you are going to do? Just wondering. Good luck with whatever you do.
  16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Some of you wont like me for this, but I've thought long and hard about it and I think I will abort them. But ... I'm not going to do it until I have the buck home. Too many things could go wrong like I dont manage to get up there or she sells him to someone in the meantime (had that happen before, I drove 9 hrs once to get a goat, got to the breeder's place and they had sold her that morning, even though they knew I was coming :angry: )

I had a long chat with my mentor over in US and he said to me, if the buck is better than the does (most likely since my does arent that flash - except maddie, dont think I'll ever find a buck better than her) and/or brings genetics into the herd that you want (yep, cos three of my does are only app. D home breds) then he would abort them. To me, going this way is furthering my breeding program, letting them have meat cross kids is just stagnating.

Also on the financial side of things ... I really am struggling lately and I havent been able to work because of uni and family committments ... so I'm faced with the possibility of having to sell off more goats :tears: and if these can pay their way, they will be able to stay. Otherwise if I'm honest, the dairy goats would be the first to go (because my first love is angoras and I'm known for them, and the boers just make too much money to let go).

So I will be giving them the PG, once I get the buck here. I'm not really keen on the 'pray/hope they didnt take' method because any doe that doesnt take here, within two services I have to get rid of. I just cant afford to keep them on for a whole year without producing anything, and I need to have a very condensed kidding season because a) I'm away alot with uni and work so I need them to kid while I'm home (my parents are useless when it comes to livestock) and b) we have such a short period of optimum kidding time, any earlier than August and its just way way too cold for babies, get lots of losses, but anything later than August and the spring flush finishes off so early the last few years that Sep/Oct babies just never grow out to their full potential, and the does dont get back up to condition either, so you get only singles next year ... bad cycle to get it. If I get this buck these dairy kids will be later than everyone else, but I guess its not too bad for the dairy goats - the kids will be bottle fed anyway and then put on hard feed, and not expected to grow out on pasture. Also, they will be sold on the bottle if I can manage it. And the does will be getting grain rations so all in all the late kidding wont be too disastrous. Not like I have had with the angoras and boers.

Anyway, thats my rambling ... basically my thought process and what I came up with. I'm happy, now I just gotta convince my parents that its a good thing bringing home another goat lol Hopefully you got some sense out of all of this
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what ever happens...good luck... :greengrin:
  18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Unfortunately no, the only relative photos I've got at this stage are the two silvers I put on the other thread, the doe is basically the same breeding as him, the kid is one of his (a wether)
  19. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I couldn't do it but then I don't look at my goats as livestock. They are family. I really don't care if they earn their keep....in their own way they do I guess by bringing my spirit such joy. I'm also really careful to keep my karma straight. That would be stretching it for me.

It's only one more year.