What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, May 12, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Okay, I have a lady that is interested in one of my LaMancha doe kids for her grandkids to show in 4-h, she has a deposit down.

Problem is my mom doesn't really want to sell her the doe kid now after finding out that her herd died this winter from the cold. And she told me she was going to feed the doe kid calf milk replacer. From fear of worrying that this owner will not take care of the kid, what woudl you do? send the deposit back? I know not all animals can go to good homes but........ugh

any advice?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well it is a tough call but in the past I have given a deposit back when I no longer felt good about the sale. My goats well being comes first. Go with your gut.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ....Teresa .... :wink: :greengrin:

It is your goat.... until the transaction is final.......you have the right to change your mind.....especially if ....the welfare of an animal is in danger.....
    I know a deposit on a goat means ......holding it for a person.......but your heart is telling you something that you feel .........just isn't right...... :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yeppers - go with your gut! :hug:

5. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I don't think I could sell an animal to someone who couldn't or wouldn't properly care for it. Its one thing to sell an animal to be put into the food supply as the animal's suffering is kept to a minimum, but to sell an animal to someone who will feed it non-optimal feed and maybe not provide proper housing for months or years could lead to long-term suffering for the animal.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Okay, so how do you politely tell someone you're not going to sell them the animal? Sorry, I've never had to do this before.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Go with your gut, I have turned down buyers before because it didn't feel right. A very simple and to the point way of doing so is to send her deposit back and let her know that the doe in question would be better suited either staying with you (retained) or because of her exceptional quality and lines she'll be going to a breeder to advance in that herd. No need to explain more....and if she bugs you to the point of harrassment after you refuse her, then let her know the real reason....in my experience it is left at the first explanation.

8. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

That's a tough question. It might be honest to say that your management plans for your herd has changed and you can't sell the animal and will refund the deposit. You don't have to say that your management plan now includes making sure your animals only go to good homes. If you are pressed for details, if the person asks, what you mean, just say your family has talked it over and needs to keep this animal. Sorry.

People's needs are different. Maybe it is best for your operation to get the income from the sale and to give the person a write up of some sort on the correct feeding and housing of goats. There's nothing to say you won't sell the goat to someone else who has a wonderful reputation and then something happens that is harmful to the goat. We can't control all these things.

There is no absolute right or wrong in this situation. It's difficult and lots of factors have to be considered. But if you want to get out of this sale, I think you could tell the person something general like your plans for your herd have changed.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I agree with all that has been said. good luck!

10. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I would totally go with your gut as well... Sometimes it is difficult to cause confrontation but is it worth yyour sleepless nights? With that being said though, what about trying to educate the owner (if they seem the type to be receptive to that) Maybe they were unaware they were doing anything wrong until they lost their herd.. Sometimes people just need help learning the ropes!

Good luck!
    Jennah

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I agree with everyone else..go wit your gut. We're kinda in the same position you are..we just don't have a deposit....

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks for the advice everybody :) I'm emailing her now.....

I have sold goats when I was first starting out to people who I really shouldn't have sold them to(worst part was they were right down the road) and I had to watch them slowly die for two years while they were neglected, I just don't want that to happen again :(

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome....Sarah......It is aggravating to see them suffer.....and ...to live down the road from them........ and see them daily ....would be very hard...... :(

I pray the goat ....gets a real good home.....soon :hug: :pray:

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    The goats come first; I think you're doing the right thing. :thumbup:

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do totally agree, but I am not sure how I would handle this. The problem is you take a deposit for a goat to hold that goat for them, they paid the deposit in good faith, and now you are pulling out. Really how is that different them the buyer pulling out?

I am just looking at both sides of this.

I research everyone and do a lot of talking before i ever sell a goat to someone. Her herd died but has anyone offered to help her out and find out why?

Please do not get mad at me, I am NOT trying to cause trouble but they did pay their deposit for her.

If you have a signed contrat with er and you pull out she can sure you.

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not mad at you Lori, I always try to see everything from everybody's perspective :) Its just that, she never really elaborated on what happened to her herd other than they died from the cold and she never asked me for any advice, she never really asked me anything about anything. Most people who email me about goats(even people who don't end up buying my goats) always bombard me with questions about management and such.

There was no signed contract, so I shouldn't have to worry about that, and as the breeder I reserve the right to refuse a sale.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think I would ask some details about the situation further and see if you can educate her in the proper way to raise goats if there is a need.

If I am polite and tell people what is more effective in for feeding and raising they are usualy very receptive. she may not know any other way to raise goats. someone has to help.

She may have it all together -- it could be a fluke thing. this is another case of not enough information to make a decision.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    But I already sent the email, so what do I do?

She said she had a bad winter and most of her goats died(she's in Indiana) and we're in Northern IL and we had a horrible winter, and my friend in northern MN had a worse winter and neither of us lost goats :shrug:

19. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree...it was a bad winter...but not so bad that most of her goats should have died...seems odd to me. It makes me think that they didn't have adaquate shelter...or maybe not enough water.

If she e-mails back and asks why you don't want her to have the goat anymore, I would tell her just that--it's strange that her goats would have died just from cold weather...she may have something going on that she's unaware of and should re-evaluate her management practices and check for other factors that could have caused it. You have the best interest of your goats at heart and want to make sure they're going to get taken care of...and tell her you'd be happy to do what you can to help her figure out what's going on so maybe down the road you'd be more comfortable sending your goat there...

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as long as you were polite in your email then you can only do as FRF just said. You are trying to do the right thing I know :hug: